bottle incinerator

1. gaz1

gaz1 Member

Im a skinflint so decided to build an incinerator out of an old gas bottle

dont want a drum one as too big as our garden dosnt need one that big just a smaller one

it cant be used for anything else as a damged bottle

drilled 6 x 1 5/8" holes around the base cut the top off it

so ive got a 24" high x 12 1/2" wide incinerator

still got to drill the bottom hole, havent decided if i should use a sort of stand on the bottom so it can be drained of ash

20200318_171749.jpg 20200318_171837.jpg 20200318_171851.jpg

im considering a second set of holes above the line inbetween the others buta t 3mm should last alot longer than the barrel type or bought version of insinerator

mpats, jimbo84, Ali and 1 other person like this.
  2. CompoSimmonite Member

I have a gas bottle I also intend making into a combined incinerator / stove. I'll make the top detachable for incinerating

3. gaz1

gaz1 Member

ive got 5 holes in already and another to drill out so 6 holes around it and one 3" square hole in the bottom

ive tested it tonight just come in works a real treat dosnt block up due to hole in the base ive also stood it on stones to give it 4" extra height

ive had the flames 6ft high from it, it works that well burn dry material first to get it going hot enough

then ive stuck wet stuff conifer on top from a tree id cut down earlier today smoked a little bit got really going well

sides glowing red so no more gas smell and should be able to scrape paint off tommorow which i know i wont do

should last ages compared to the barrel incinerator and easy to replace as well

i will get some photos of another burn tommorow and a vid as well

4. gaz1

gaz1 Member

it was too windy last night but i got another chunk burnt off

i was burning off a largish ball root of prickly plant wouldnt fit in but due to its high flame effect still got stuck on top

20200320_204255.jpg 20200320_204310.jpg

mines based on a small size incinerator

Volume
    13L
    Product diameter 310mm
    Product height 400mm

stuvy and jimbo84 like this.
  5. gaz1

gaz1 Member

id go down then up with it if your wanting both

filled from the top fire at bottom of it extra air allowed to flow just past the fire and up the chimney

6. gaz1

gaz1 Member

hardly any wind tonight so done a full burn all night

yes im burning conifer tree only cut down a few days ago 4"/5" trunk

burn is mixed between garden twigs and 2x2s

its that hot base glows orange often

20200323_202930.jpg 20200323_202942.jpg 20200323_212118.jpg 20200323_212134.jpg 20200323_213557.jpg 20200323_213623.jpg

Mattuk, Morrisman, Rig Pig and 3 others like this.
  7. sardine

sardine Member

Gas bottles are galvanised under the paint, don't breathe in the fumes from it burning off.

8. badabec

badabec Forum Supporter

Hello, what is the best method to empty the gas cylinder of any remaining fumes before I blow myself up with my Lidl plasma cutter?

Peter

9. gaz1

gaz1 Member

try to use close to empty bottles or use up the gas first

after that turn tap on and air it a little then big stilsons and wrench tap off some are so solid they break then its fun

then its battery drill a hole into it and fill it with water and empty it then start to cut it but i tend to light a lighter flame near it knowing its gonna give a woosh sometimes most of the time it dosnt

10. badabec

badabec Forum Supporter

"i tend to light a lighter flame near it knowing its gonna give a woosh sometimes most of the time it dosnt"

That made me laugh! Thanks for the info. As a kid I used to squirt lighter fluid from a can into the coal fire from about 6 feet, that was quite a whoosh...

11. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

Only done it the once, emptied it of gas, tiny amount left in, bottle upside down with valve fully open, do this in a well ventilated area, remove the valve, fill with water till over flowing and leave the water to sit in it for a while, i did an extra step of drilling a hole large enough to get a hose through close to the valve, pour water over the drill bit whilst drilling to make it easier to fill with water and wash a couple of times. Once empty (it will still stink) I purged it with C02 before cutting just to be sure. Most of that probably isn't necessary but I wanted to be tripply sure it wouldn't go bang.

12. sardine

sardine Member

Don't drill holes in a gas bottle before its been filled with water.

stuvy likes this.
  13. Kram

Kram Member

Reminds me I have a ton of scrap aluminium I want to melt down for turning but need a steel bottle or bucket to make furnace. Last attempt was coal/gas but this will be electric, Ive got some kiln elements to try.

14. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Fill it with water and cut it open while full - not with a plasma but a battery powered angle grinder. It should also be better/safer if you purge it with argon while cutting. It desn't take much gas to be all explody so if you flush it with inert gas it should reduce that likelyhood. I flush mine with water, empty the water, then angle grinder. I don't leave it for any time after flushing, that's when gas can build up.

If you only have mains powered angle grinder and not air/battery, you'll have to dump most of the water out and if you can cut safely above the water line with power tools or plasma I guess, that should be fine. It is the empty volume of a cylinder which is dangerous, reduce that volume and it is safer though there is no known perfectly safe way to cut one open for the lay person.

Don't ever "test" it with a naked flame to see if it will explode or not. :rolleyes:

15. WorkshopChris

WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

Don't risk a brushed motor drill if any gas is still in the area, also when cold leave a butane cylinder upside down to see if any gas flows out as a liquid.

16. gaz1

gaz1 Member

added extra holes above the large holes it starts better but also aids the fire

another note and

i do push a bar through the holes to clear the bottom hole for more rocket effect as the wood drops down it all combines in the bottom and does block it it happens on the bought ones as well

20200405_213818.jpg

stuvy likes this.
  17. Aerohead

Aerohead Member

If you are burning green wood, it goes even quicker if you add shot of chippy oil to the mix.

Also the super green alternative, used crank, bit more smoke but burns hotter.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  18. sg66 Member

Be careful cutting up gas bottles don't take anything for granted, people die doing just that.

Once a bottle has been filled with gas it's always deemed to be full, even when empty, the explosive limit on lpg is low you only need a smal amount of gas and a hole to allow air in.

19. gaz1

gaz1 Member

i keep forgetting to take and add this pic

heres the hole in the bottom helpful as it allows the ahes to fall into the middle and fall through the bottom also stops it filling up with water

these are the ashes after a full nights burn in it

20200427_151820.jpg 20200427_151825.jpg

20. Wedg1e

Wedg1e They call me Mr. Bodge-angles

I used to light the garden incinerator with paraffin and a gas blowtorch from the top, once rammed nice and firmly with swept-up leaves. Walk away, let it simmer, come back in the morning and there'd be very little ash left in the bottom. Tried leaving it loosely-stuffed but found that tamping the load down gave a slower burn; with it loose you'd be coming back every few minutes to top it up.

Parm likes this.
Advertisements