Bolt cutters for large shark/circle hooks

1. Ed. Member

Hi guys, need a recommendation, I am chasing a set of 18"-24" (350-600mm)bolt cutters for cutting off large shark and circle hooks. In case I hook a shark I can cut off the hook and let it swim off without having a large hook in it's mouth. I have gone to one of the local tool stores and bought the Renegade 350mm bolt cutters, took it home and decided to try it out on one of my medium sized circle hooks(16/0 and 2.82mm). One cut and there was a large dimple in the jaws. Took it back and got my money back.

Went to our large chain hardware store and tried 3 different types of bolt cutters and same thing. I don't know what that circle hooks are made from but they are obviously harder than the bolt cutter jaws. Which is trange as I have cut G70 chain with bolt cutters before although they were a much bigger set.

The thing is, I have hooks that are twice that size (3mm x 5mm) and so don't want the bolt cutter jaws to be chewed out by cutting off hooks, I haven't tried it on those yet as they are about $12 each. It's also a safety thing as an accident may happen and I may need to cut out a hook from someones limb or something hopefully while it is not attached to a large thrashing fish

I do have smaller pincers and side cutters on board but they won't handle the 16/0-26/0 circle/shark hooks. I have tried the CR-V and CR-M cutters. In my research I have come across T8 steel jaws and Cobalt steel. I don't know anything about T8 steel and the only Cobalt steel ones are in the Knipix brand. Has anyone any recommendations regarding brands/model numbers etc. I suspect that the Cobalt ones may be too brittle, also too expensive as well but happy to be wrong.

2. Agrismith Member

Knipex cobalt look up the visa online should do it fine

3. Ed. Member

Had a better look at the Knipex, it actually isn't a Cobalt steel, it's a registrered tradmark called Cobolt, bit misleading I think.

Looks like the Chinese T8 is just carbon steel and not a particularly good one at that.

4. fizzy Member

uk
    I have a big pair of old Record croppers - they will cut almost anything and never any sign of wear. Try and find a used pair.

5. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

6. Kent

Kent Member

Well thats why std carbon steels beat stsinless in c+r big game fishing.
    Just cut the trace! The saltwater will soon tske care of the hook

steve t, slim_boy_fat and Migmac like this.
  7. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    The Gedore 200mm bolt cutters are supposed to be very good. There was a thread mentioning them on here recently

8. Ed. Member

Thanks for the input guys, although the 200m sized ones won't cut through my larger hooks, I tried using the 350mm bolt cutters and they required a fair bit of force just to go through 2.8mm, so 200mm on those won't have a hope. I will most likely have to get the 450-600mm long ones, or else two or three different sized ones for different sized hooks. Who would have thought that fishing hooks were so hard, incidentally I tried a set of 12" pincers on those originally and those barely made a mark on the hooks.

At this stage, I have narrowed it down to the Hit brand, HITNBC0600S, HITNBC0600R and the smaller HITNBC0450R HITNBC0300H. These ones are rated for Hi-tensile steel, but they are quite pricey though. Also considering HK Porter 450mm 18" Bolt Cutter Centre Cut Powerlink 0090MCD.
    I was hoping for something cheap as they will be going into salt water and then sitting in the boat, but that looks like it is not going to happen as it appears that the $25 E-Bay specials I was hoping to get won't do the job, after Easter I will go to a few more tool stores with a couple of hooks and see what other brands are available that might suit.

mike os likes this.
  9. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

Hard jaws cost more than that. .... One of those things where you really do get what you pay for

The ones I linked will cut 4.5mm in truth.... and hard enough that it's slow work with a hacksaw with hss blade

10. AdrianH

AdrianH Forum Supporter

Have you considered an alternative approach? What about a battery powered grinder with cutting disk fitted? It is just a thought. Not sure how fast the battery units are.

Adrian

11. Ed. Member

Powered devices an not option, main reason is to use them to cut the hooks so that I can release the hooked sharks, ie; they will be subject to being shoved into salt water, hence they have to be bolt cutters and not electric driven devices.
    Most of the 350mm-450mm bolt cutters I used will do the job but the jaws were damaged each time I used them, so not to sure how long before I would need to replace them and they were hard pressed to cut the hooks, I seriously doubt that the 200mm ones would do it, especially on the larger hooks. I need a bolt cutter to cut it easily and quickly, don't want my hands to be too close to a large angry sharks mouth for any length of time! if you know what I mean.

12. Agrismith Member

I think you may be surprised by how how good the little ones are
    The small knipex ones really are very good quality and very well designed I presume the would be same quality
    Or you can get stainless steel bar cutters but again are very expensive

13. Kent

Kent Member

Have you seen these hooks?

14. Agrismith Member

No but I've seen what the knipex will cut in comparison to a full blown set of cheap bolt cutters from b and q and can say there is no way that you can exert enough force on them to damage the jaws so must be a step above what the o.p has been using if the jaws have been damaged

15. bigegg

bigegg I drink and I know things. Its what I do.

hand pumped hydraulic rebar cutter?

16. jordan1 Member

Have you asked around, what do other fishermen use?.:whistle:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. Ed. Member

Hi Bigegg, anything different from a bolt cutter won't work, as I said earlier I need to cut the hooks inches away from a live sharks mouth, so need a cutter to be slim so I can get close enough to cut the hook but also long enough so I can avoid getting my hands too close to its teeth to avoid getting them shredded if that shark decided to swing his mouth toward my hands at the same time as I am cutting the hook, and lastly easily maneuverable so I can control the cutting and do the cut easily and quickly. I don't think that dunking the hydraulic cutters in salt water would be good for them either.

Shark fishing is a specialized sport so not many do it compared to normal fishing, The reels/rods are expensive, huge and heavy, you have a fighting harness on plus a rod gimbal belt harness attached to you, this makes you pretty awkward to move around freely. So generally you go fishing with one or two guys so someone can help you land a big shark. The fisherman has to keep holding the rod to control the fish, some one goes in to the water to drag the shark in a bit closer to the shore and to control the fish and then cut the hook. I haven't personally found anyone else that I know that goes shark fishing so can't ask them. Saw a video on YouTube once of a guy using bolt cutters but unfortunately can't find a link again to ask them, quite often the posters on YouTuber's rarely respond to comments and questions either. For myself I will have to hand the fishing gear over to my wife so I can do the release myself as there is no way on earth I will be able to convince her to do that release part. :(

bigegg likes this.
  18. Kent

Kent Member

If the materials being cut are a lot harder than the jaws then the jaws will be damaged (its not all about force applied but the difference in hardness and contact points)

19. Ed. Member

Just an update, went to another hardware store and tested some more cutters, ended up getting the 450mm HIT red jaw bolt cutters, tested them out on the circle hooks and no problem, it cut through them easily and no indent in the jaws afterwards. Didn't try them out on the larger shark hooks as I didn't want to destroy one as they are very expensive hooks. The 350mm also did the job but I decided to get the 450mm as that bit of extra distance away from the shark jaws wouldn't go astray! :thumbup:. later on I will also get a pair of the 200mm diagonal Knipix side cutters as well, for some of the smaller sized hooks as they should be easier to handle one handed if I get a smaller hook stuck in one of my hands.

Looks like both the Knipex and the HIT brands offer the hardest jaws out of all the brands I looked at (64HRC) and the ability to cut 48HRC steel.

bigegg likes this.
  20. Kent

Kent Member

Tough and hard aint nessarily the same thing. I should 100% test on whatever you plan on cutting first.
    Big shark boatside dont give you much chance to step back and scratch your head if plan A fails

bigegg likes this.
Advertisements