BOC Transarc Tradesman DC130 - first proper use

1. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

Well, while waiting for the replacement hat to arrive, I sparked up the DC130 for its first real use since buying it, making a pair of bike dollies.
    My word, what a nice little machine - goes on smooth as silk, it's like spreading butter with the rod.
    Honestly, I only now realise what I'd been missing by not having a DC welder years ago. And this is with using a hand-held shield, too. A good piece of kit makes even my welding look ok. :)

2. jj28 Member

Hi I know this is an old post but how good have you found the murex 130 I have a chance of buying one

3. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

It's absolutely excellent, but a heavy sod. Don't plan on heaving it around too much. What also helped was having a diy rod oven which made sure the rods, old and new stock, were nicely dry. In fact, last week the rod oven heater had been bust for a few weeks and the rods were not as dry as I would have liked - it was noticeable. Even at that, the DC130 coped well with them.

4. jj28 Member

I can buy one for bout 150 euro I think I mite take a chance on it . I usually buy Hillco welding rods is an oven expensive to buy

5. nickk Forum Supporter

i bought one in '85,agree excellent used to burn 3.2 rods-box a day some times & off an extension lead,but it stopped in '90,agent said thats it,terminal unrepairable ,stating the circuit boards were too expensive.:mad:

6. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

I paid about that, including the shipping, but I've seen them a lot cheaper, though more heavily used. Mine was the property of an occasional hobbyist, so it was hardly used. Because of that, I thought I'd pay the extra.
    The rod oven I have is just a supermarket till cash drawer with a 12" 60W tubular heater in it. Unfortunately the heater didn't like being left on all the time in a box :( I've been looking at heat mats to stand the box on, but a lot of the vivarium mats I see are just cheap looking things that probably won't last too long either, and they don't look very safe electrically. There are ceramic bulb heater that will probably last much longer, so that's likely what I'll use, with a thermostat.
    Otoh, winter will be here soon, and it's easier to just leave the rods on top of a heater...

7. jj28 Member

I know I hate the winter and we haven't had a great summer .I usually keep mine in the hotpress . I try and keep the too welders in the house too. The damp doesn't do them any favours . I was thinking bout buying a small mig any suggestions.

8. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

I can't recommend what I've not used, but there's no shortage of choice and if you put a general query into the MIG section you'll get plenty of recommendations, and more importantly, what to avoid.
    I've got a Telwin 160 (more like a 130, really) and it's quite good for what it is. I bought it as a gasless set, but the hassle I've had finding decent gasless wire makes me wish I'd paid the bit extra at the beginning for the Euro torch and the gas option. I'll be doing a gas and Euro-torch conversion on it soon, which will make it all the better.
    If you do ever find yourself needing gasless wire, I can recommend Air Liquide Weld Team - there are a few stockists in Ireland. Luckily, there's a relatively local stockist to me with it in. Nearly all the rest that are commonly available are rubbish and will have you tearing your hair out (avoid SuperSix like the plague).

9. jj28 Member

Yes I had a sealey mightymig 150 I had awful trouble with the baseless wire esp the sealey wire. Mind you I had no trouble with the super6 wire but maybe I was lucky as I had just bought one roll and sold the welder after

10. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

Oh, yes, I had the very odd roll of S6 that actually worked right, then the next one would be crap. There was no consistency at all. At one point I honestly thought I'd totally lost the knack, because of that 'kin rubbish stuff.
    Then I found Air Liquide; the sun came up, the birds sang, and leaves sprouted on the trees, the comely maidens danced at the crossroads, and life was good again.

11. jj28 Member

Haha ill keep it in mind . I'm don't really have eno work for a mig I usl use 1.6 rods and low amps for light welding

12. cdsmith15

cdsmith15 Member

You could try a vivarium heat mat and put a cheap poundland carpet tile over it. Once heated it should stay warm even through the carpet tile and the heat mat should stay protected.

Farside likes this.
  13. BR_T New Member

Hi, I've been gifted a DC130 Transarc and although powers up (transformer hum) and the fan working there's not much else going on. Is the fan supposed to be on all the time? I'm wondering if there's a fault in the thermostat.

14. eddie49 Member

Advertisements