Boc 300 adr

1. kevin102 New Member

uk
    Hi All,

I bought this welder and foot control for £200 as the guy wasnt sure it all worked, I got her going and can weld 2mm aluminium all day long and as good as some of the modern machines on the market. Although slight problem when go on to the heavier gauge the machine trips at the board after a few seconds, could someone enlighten me to what could be the problem? I did notice that earth clamp gets hot?

ADR 300.jpg

WELD.jpg

2. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

What size of supply (Amps) is it plugged into?

3. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    That's going to be a power hungry beast! especially if it's single phase

4. kevin102 New Member

uk
    I'm using a single phase to three phase converter with a max load of 15KW 20 HP.

Its a three phase machine:

L1 L
    L2 N
    EARTH

P.S It also sometimes trips the odd time just as the foot pedal or trigger switch is pressed to start the arc

5. shenion

shenion Tool Pack Rat

It will be a single-phase machine; just that it is configured for 415V. Would run between two phases.

It probably can be jumpered for 230V to avoid the need for a converter.

I have a similar vintage beast. Runs on a 50A/240V setup and I get about 180 amps before tripping the breaker.

I get the same; it trips the breaker on one of about every 15 times I start the arc. I need to replace the breaker to one for inductive loads.

If there is a spec plate on the power requirements, it will show how much power it needs. My 300A beast is 24KW. :o

6. NotANormalCoder Retired fixer of welders

These machines and their current requirements, crop up regularly on the forum, so here's the word from the manual (and it also applies to the Philips and Rowen-Arc machines that are identical): ADR300 - 2 phases of a 3 phase supply - 440V needs 73A fuses, at 380V needs 81A fuses. If I remember, we in the UK are now 415V, so 70A seems fair. Remember that this is for old style wire fuses and applies if you want maximum output. The overall load will drop for lower outputs but the surge when you trigger the machine is huge (large transformers to energise even if you don't strike an arc!), so the largest fuse you can safely fit is best.
    When using trips, you need at least 'D' rated to cope with the surge (1 trip in 10 starts as mentioned above sounds about right for standard trips). And remember too that trips get 'tired' over time when dealing with large surges, so expect to replace lower value trips frequently if you do a lot of stop/start welding.
    Finally, the 200A model requires about 50Amp fuses/trips and the same rules apply.
    Hope this helps others with these machines - you need a decent supply!!!!

Hopefuldave likes this.
  7. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Transformers also use power when you are not welding, what kind of power do they use on standby when they are just humming along unoccupied ?

8. NotANormalCoder Retired fixer of welders

Depends on the machine - ADR300s probably take around 7amps at idle (auxilliary transformer is fused at 15A) partly due to a large auxilliary transformer and the rest is sucked up by the huge fan motor.

9. Lwawuga New Member

Hello Team:
    I have a machine BOC ADR 300, and its my first time to see it. I want to know how to use it with all its advantages. Can someone help me with the manual or procedure to operate it?.

10. NotANormalCoder Retired fixer of welders

Easy! Send me a private message with your email address and I will send you the Owners manual, wiring diagram and parts list.

Dave

slim_boy_fat and Robotstar5 like this.
  11. blue_squirrel New Member

hello there

have just bought myself a adr200 boc tig welder at a reasonable price, was wondering if possible to get a copy of the manual

would be very much appreciated as im new to tig welding

regards Roy

12. NotANormalCoder Retired fixer of welders

Blue squirrel
    PM your email address and I will send the info you need. Not sure if user manual will help you with your welding but from memory, it contains a few tips. 200 is the same layout as the 300 but with a slightly smaller main transformer and rectifier. Still needs a fair sized supply though!
    Dave

Advertisements