Blue Band/Gas Pipe EN10255 vs CHS S235

1. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

For building the space frame round my new off road buggy project I see Blue Band/Gas pipe has been used/mentioned by others - this stuff https://www.valvestubesfittings.com/steel-pressure-pipe-tube/en10255-pipe-tube - I would look at using the 1.5" Nominal which is 48.3mm OD x 3.25mm wall.

Is this better/worse/different to the much more available (to me) CHS 48.3 x 3mm from Brundles https://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/products/300648332__CHS_48_3_x_3_0mm_x_7_5_7_6m_Grade_S235

I have waded through a range of technical specs but if someone could give me an idea of real-world differences (ie are there any or is it just certification?) that would be great.

2. 8ob

8ob Member

Depends on the bender you are using, the blueband will bend easily in the hydraulic crossbow benders, the CHS will bend in one but you can get crinkling on the inside of the bend.

Bob

3. 8ob

8ob Member

I use a lot of it to cage/protect our kit.

Bob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Must have drivers like ours

brightspark, 8ob and stuvy like this.
  5. Wightsparks

Thanks @8ob where do you get it from? Brundles is on the island once a week but they only do the CHS.
    I acquired a massive crossbow type hydraulic bender - the ram is almost a meter long, it has an aluminium die that is 50.7mm at the opening, weighs about 15kg - not sure if that will suit 48mm OD - I assume they have to be a bit wider in order to get it out.
    Mate has a ratchet type but not sure if that will bend 48mm.

6. 8ob

8ob Member

7. Wightsparks

Yep there is a Wolseley here but they are just plumbing - might be persuaded of course!
    Didn't think of Parker Steel they also deliver weekly to the island so that might work - it is almost double the price of Brundles CHS - is that normal?

8. Wightsparks

Did some checking - nope just Parkers are very expensive - £26 (link in 1st post) vs £45.40 at Parkers :o

8ob likes this.
  9. 8ob

8ob Member

Is that like for like, as in plain ended vs threaded ends and single socket?

Bob

10. Wightsparks

Advertisements