Block sanding

1. Jamieg285 Member

My 'project' is a 40 year old Chevy, so understandably a lot of my research for restoring it has come from the US. On top of this, it appears that lot of the 'instructional' videos you find on the web are US based too.

A lot of the advice I've seen suggests using a long block when preparing your panels. I've found places where I can buy the blocks, but not the sandpaper to fit them.

For those that have been doing it for years, what blocks and paper do you recommend?

2. grim_d

grim_d Member

Not just buy it by the roll and cut to length?

stuvy and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. Dcal Member

I'd recommend the Mirka aberanet sanding sheets
    They are hook and loop and will fit any block the right size
    I like the Mirka blocks with you can plug a vacuum into but it can be hard to find a long block for reasonable money.
    3m also do an excellent system.
    Have a search for Trevs blog which gives an excellent overview of blocking.
    Link below(I hope)

zx9 likes this.
  4. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

I made my long block from an old piece of Mahogany (proper) that needed a proper job....
    heavy sanding, bog or slonk I use this block and Mirka paper...all grades from 40 - 1000 I think....this block is only ever used dry.....
    I do have a rubber English style block, basically rubber with captive nails to hold the paper....
    nowhere as good as the originals which were proper rubber...then u could also use it as a squeegee when wet sanding.....
    I do have a very old in-line air sander.....can't remember the nick name for it....
    this gets used for basic long flat sanding....

5. brightspark

brightspark Member

6. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

I used 3M blocks, a short one[about 6inches long] and one about twice that length.
    I actually splurged on them when I was painting my Charger;-) Amazing the difference they
    made; much nicer to use than the old bit of wood I was using. Mine were stickit, I don't think hook was
    around at the time. I bought boxes of paper for the long sander and chopped them down for the short sander.
    I don't like spending money but paper for the block was a price I was willing to pay.

I made a long bed at some time, it was laminated bits of formica and I had rolls of
    paper and I used 3m spray contact adhesive to stick the paper on. That was almost 3 feet long.

My block is probably the same as this:
    [​IMG]

Last time I did some bike tin work I didn't have any paper for a block. I shelled out on boxes of SIA[?]
    hookit paper and I made some blocks from a range of things, a good one was sheets of plasterzote with self
    adhesive velco stuck on. They worked fine and I stopped using wet and dry.

I bought a long bed air sander, line sander, I took it back not at all impressed. I bought a Hutchinson long bed sander, an orbital. If your knocking down plod and shaping a panel the hand block is better and faster.

FrankHorton, the soft rubber blocks I haven't seen them since the 70's. I bought them from brown brothers but when the sikkens two pack stopper came out I thought a squgee would be good and chopped a block up to use as one!. I thought I would be able to buy another, not seen a soft one since.

7. stuvy Member

8. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Not that I do bodywork or indeed much painting, but I use a hard rubber block I found at a harbour once.
    I think it's a buffer off the rear of a lorry. [nearly said 'back of a lorry', but you lot'd have a field day....:laughing:]

brightspark and stuvy like this.
  9. stuvy Member

10. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Technically :vsad: I did put an advert in the press, an appeal on local radio, and took a slot on regional tv - but no-one claimed it....:whistle:

Local Constabulary weren't interested either... :D

stuvy likes this.
  11. grim_d

grim_d Member

Finders keepers, losers weepers.

stuvy likes this.
  12. Pete.

Pete. Member

Not if you found something you've previously lost :D

slim_boy_fat, Dcal and stuvy like this.
  13. brightspark

brightspark Member