Binzel torch question

1. Damaged

Damaged I blame the penguins.

Hi all,

A couple of questions about Euro torches and in particular ones of the Binzel variety.

Does a MB15 torch fit the same socket as a MB25?

If so, other than the physical size of the torch, what is the difference?

There may be sombody that might have a Portamig 215 that could be fitted with a MB15 torch who possibly works for a company that has lots of MB25 spares in a cupboard :whistle:

Obviously I have no idea who this person is or even what a Portamig is... :welder:

Thanks,

Mick

I mean... ehm ... BUGGER

2. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    The socket is a standard fitment Mick, you can fit any euro torch into any euro socket. The figures just denote the size of the torch and it's current carrying capacity.
    Just for reference, here's my Butters MB15 against my Portamig's MB36;
    welders 007.jpg
    welders 008.jpg

I'd have thought yours would have had an MB25 on it anyway?

3. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

I think mine is an MB25. Guessing that's between the two in the photo in size. What size are the handy small tips and shrouds fitted to a lot of the smaller SIPs? Would they be MB15?

4. JML

JML Member

Northumberland
    MB15 and MB25 tips are M6 thread, the MB25's are fatter and very slightly longer but you can interchange them. MB36 tips are M8. Minimig tips are a smaller thread and a lot shorter. MB25 has a copper tip adaptor which screws into the neck and the tip goes into this. The neck has a spring threaded onto it and the shroud twists onto it. You should be able to get the bits at most welding stockists but if you get stuck I have some on my van.

5. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    As said, they all fit the same euro connector.

In theory, if you had a big machine but doing something delicate, you could put on a MB15, It will overheat and burn out in no time if you use anything above the reccomended power.

I had a MB15 on mine when i bought it, but changed to a MB25, i prefer the size of the torch, plus spares are easy to get ;)

6. Damaged

Thanks all,

Mine is definatley a MB15.

From what you are saying would I be right in saying my 200 Amp welder has been supplied with a 150 Amp torch?

I've noticed that when welding material >6mm the welds look dull (gas flow at around 15 lpm) and on completing the weld the wire has a tendancy to stick to the nozzle could this be related to the torch capacity or is it more likley that it's me being a muppet?

7. Wozzaaah

Wiltshire, UK
    That's pretty normal mick, the MB rating corresponds to the duty cycle (@ 60% I think?) rather than the highest current the machine can deliver so an MB15 is about right for yours as the duty cycle @ 60% probably won't be as high as 150A.
    My 220A Butters came with an MB15, worked ok until I used it at high settings for prolonged periods then the rubber sheath on the swan-neck would get a bit hot start to smoke :laughing:.

8. Hitch

Somerset

I should have metioned about the duty cycle of torches.... i believe Woz is right its 60%.

The 150a torch on the 200a machine probably has a higher duty cycle than the machine its self, if not, i doubt theres much in it.

9. Damaged

My 220A Butters came with an MB15, worked ok until I used it at high settings for prolonged periods then the rubber sheath on the swan-neck would get a bit hot start to smoke :laughing:.[/QUOTE]

:cool:

Cheers Wozz

10. Damaged

Sorry Hitch,

Once again I was typing whilst you posted.

As I can "obtain" parts for a MB25 torch for nothing I think I'll upgrade anyway :laughing:

11. Wozzaaah

Wiltshire, UK
    It's a worthwhile upgrade Mick, I've got an as-yet unused MB36 which came with my Portamig, I bought an MB25 to use with it as the 36 is just sooooo big!
    I can recommend a Parweld ergo, that's the same as the MB36 in my pic, my 25 is also an ergo, the 15 in my pic is a Parweld 'eco' I believe.

12. Hitch

Somerset
    The ergos (purple iirc) seem a bit better than the ecos(blue iirc) ;)

13. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

I mainly use the MB25 - probably about right for most things i weld. The 500A set has a water cooled MB36, but even for big stuff i find it too cumbersome. Probably why i manage to melt MB25 torches!
    The MB36 makes for a better hammer tho...!

14. Damaged

Superb :clapping:

Advertisements