Best sealant on Stainless - 'CT1' not perfect?

1. Curiousgeorge Member

Hi all.
    Bit of an odd one here: I have been helping my mate make small size swimming pools / spas by folding a few sheets of stainless, spot welding them together and fusing the edges. This usually keeps them watertight save for the odd pin hole. He then uses a clear sealant called CT1 to seal the inside edges / seams (I'll try and post a pic tomorrow). However, this hasn't been 100% successful.

This could be due to the application of the product but I must say that he is pretty thorough. The thing that I am confused about is that the CT1 website says it 'makes it perfect for sealing swimming pools and repairing any visible cracks or holes that may have developed'. Now, cracks and holes are different to a seam along two pieces of bent stainless.
    Any thoughts on this, please?

2. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

I have absolutely no idea but I have often wondered what effect silicone sealant has on metals. It smells like acid, maybe acetic (vinegar) so does it contain a lot of acid?
    Just a thought......does your CT1 mean cracks in tiles etc...does it mention steel

As I said Ive no idea.........hopefully someone will come along and put both of our minds at rest

WorkshopChris and Parm like this.
  3. Curiousgeorge Member

No, you've made an excellent point regarding tiles /tiling, I think this is what is insinuated- I was also wondering about that possible effect.
    However, their website says
    'Sealing a swimming pool requires a powerful water resistant sealant that can withstand water pressure and the elements. It isn’t uncommon for swimming pools to develop cracks and leaks over time. Fixing these leaks can be a problem because it can be hard to find a good waterproof sealant. Most require a dry surface area before application, which can be very time consuming and increase labour time.

When you need to seal a swimming pool, there is no better option than the one-stop, multi-purpose hybrid polymer sealant and adhesive from C-TEC. This adhesive is ideal for both the occasional user and the professional tradesmen. It’s a popular product with trades such as plumbers, electricians, builders and construction workers etc. It creates a strong adhesion to most materials, including metals, lead, glass, tiles, mirror, wood, plastic and ceramic.

What makes this sealant ideal for sealing swimming pools is the fact that it can be used in dry, damp and wet conditions. This makes it eligible for use in such applications as swimming pools, bathrooms, showers, sinks and aquariums etc. It’s highly water resistant and will not allow a single drop of water to pass through its exterior. It acts as a filler, sealant and adhesive, which makes it useful for multiple jobs inside and outside the home.

One of its main advantages is the fact that CT1 does not require additional fixings, which means you can complete even the most difficult applications with just a single cartridge of CT1. You can even apply this sealant under water, which makes it perfect for sealing swimming pools and repairing any visible cracks or holes that may have developed.'

https://www.ct1.com/product-applications/seal-swimming-pool-ct1-sealant-adhesive/

I'm wondering if 'strong adhesion to' is the same as watertight sealed?
    I have emailed the makers but have yet to hear back...

4. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

sounds like it should be OK

5. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    It does cure through acetic acid reactions usually, that is what the strong smell is - it will rust steel pretty rapidly if you use it as a seal, and it does the same to 304 exhaust systems - don't know about 316.
    I'd be brushing it over with an epoxy mastic myself.

6. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Some silicone sealants contain a large amount of acetic acid. Can’t remember which brands though

7. Yamhon

Yamhon Member

Could you not seal them with GRP?

8. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Just a thought, any properly run spa pool should be disinfected to manage legionella proliferation. Usual chemicals are chlorine, liquid or tablets plus some other stuff I can’t remember now. Salt is sometimes also used for microbiological control.

Check that any silicone products remain compatible with water treatment chemicals and don’t suffer any degradation.

This lot should be able to help or at least point you in the right direction

https://www.wras.co.uk/

slim_boy_fat and daleyd like this.
  9. Onoff Member

You must clean your substrate with C-Tec Multi Solve first.

I find Kevin at C-Tec very helpful.

I just used Evo-Stik The Dogs Fairy Godmothers (clear) to seal a crack in a home diesel tank. First cleaned the area with IPA. Worked a treat.

Fun fact...clear sealants are slightly weaker than coloured variants of the same brand due to the lack of pigments acting as fibres. The clear tubes are also lighter in weight. Next time in B&Q weigh up one in each hand.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2019 at 7:46 PM
    Curiousgeorge likes this.
  10. Curiousgeorge Member

Thank you for that. Much appreciated. Please can I ask would his email address be kevin@c-tec? Or do you ring him?

11. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

cleaned with IPA ???.......i suspect my IPA and yours are different........India Pale Ale

Parm and Anguz like this.
  12. merryman Member

I wish people wouldn't use so many acronyms on here, meths is only slightly longer to type, and easier to understand. Yes, I know Iso-propyl alcohol is slightly different, no pink dye for one thing, but near enough surely.

13. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    I don't see why meths is any easier to understand than IPA, it's still a shortening.

And no, it's not the same thing, meths often leaves a residue behind compared to IPA.

WorkshopChris, Parm and MattF like this.
  14. Onoff Member

Sorry, isopropyl alcohol.

15. Onoff Member

I initially emailed and he said to ring him.

Note he's a busy man! Advised me recently sticking tiles to marine ply with CT1 Power Grab n Bond:

Kevin Cashin
    C Tec Midlands/ C Tec Ireland
    Mob: 07943 652135
    Ire: 086 0465614
    Ph: 0121 439 5823
    Fax: 0121 2850253
    www.ct1ltd.com

16. Curiousgeorge Member

Crikey - it looks like he’s a Director.
    This is brilliant and incredibly kind. Thank you so very much.
    No problem, I’ll keep it short and sweet!

17. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

I'm just puzzled why you don't just grind out and re weld the tiny leaks? Or cheat and dot punch the hole shut.

Parm likes this.
  18. Curiousgeorge Member

I understand y
    I understand your puzzlement - it’s because the ‘pools’ are already submerged in soil.

Rig Pig likes this.
  19. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

Ah I see, saves a lot of space work!

20. cianh91

cianh91 Member

What’s the finish on the stainless.
    I’d be using a 2B finish for a pool as it’s better for cleaning but the main problem with 2B is its so smooth sealant won’t usually work .

Advertisements