Beginner Issues

1. Mayfair94 New Member

Hi, just started to try mid welding so I can weld my mini. I am using a Clarke 135TE at setting 1, Max, wire speed 6. Despite using higher power, penetration is poor. Please see pics. Any advice? Also very dirty after welding. Mild steel 1mm, 0.6 mild steel wire. Gas welder.

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

2. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Welcome to the forum:

I would have guesstimated setting 1 was about right, have you tried it on 2, also the wire feed control is very sensitive on that model so worth playing around a bit

The black could be a lack of gas coverage or that steel looks a bit like zintec which I have never used but may have a coating...not sure about that though.

3. Mayfair94 New Member

Cheers for your replies. After having a read of this website last night I'm going to make a few adjustments and try again. When going to the highest setting yesterday I expected it to blow through, but I got similar results. I'm wandering a poor earth? I'm going to rough up both sides and I have some copper braid to place under the clamp to give good contact.

I'm also running co2 gas that came with the welder, again reading this site it suggests argon/co2 mix required for thin sheet metal or you may get poor penetration (one of my issues). I will also sand the weld area lightly to remove any coating.

Will see how my next test piece goes!

4. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

If that is one of the small disposable bottles then that could well be the gas coverage problem I mentioned, they don't last long and unless fully open often don't provide enough flow.

Co2 is sort of ok and many use it by acquiring one of the pub gas bottles from a friendly pub owner or gas supplier.

I have used Co2 and the argon/Co2 mix, the mix is so much better I would not go back to Co2.

Unless you have a very small amount of welding with long time periods between welds (months minimum) then it is much better to sort yourself out with one of the rental schemes, mine works out at £1.60 a week for the rent and a refill annually.

5. Mayfair94 New Member

Sounds like that may be more cost effective. Does anyone have any recommendations in the southeast (West Sussex). It was the small co2 bottle. The book says o open the regulator to 4, but have read a few reviews that say they only got flow when fully open (6). Will switch bottle and try different setting.

6. Poacher

Poacher New Member

Go to boc and set up account, good gas and you don’t need to be shy with the gas like you do on little throw away bottles. Looks like a gas problem to me ,that and not enough power.

Mayfair94 likes this.
  7. Mayfair94 New Member

Cheers poacher

8. Poacher

Poacher New Member

Boc Horsham

9. chris y Member

Durham England
    welded with CO2 only for many years (mostly car stuff), that looks like typical CO2 shielded welding to me with the brown discolouration.
    With CO2 I always found I needed a higher voltage setting than I learned the equivalent Argon mix gas needed to get good penetration, just turn it up again or maybe reduce wire feed a touch.
    If you change to mix gas you will have an easier time and your welding will look nicer too.

Your work looks quite decent to be honest, a lot of people don't trouble themselves with penetration when doing car work, some of it is awful to be honest but it looks like you are going to do a good job if you are trying to improve I'm sure you will get to a good standard.

Mayfair94 likes this.
  10. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

@Mayfair94 Just don't assume that the guy behind the counter will know about the Volkszone/Hobby deal(s), there's a section at Head Office which deals with that. Call them and it can be set up easily, the contact number is on the forum if you do a search.

Mayfair94 likes this.
  11. Mayfair94 New Member

Thanks Chris, I certainly want to get it right before I move onto the car. I have some argon co2 mix now and was pleasantly surprised with the difference. It sounded a lot better from the off, getting that 'sizzling bacon' sound more consistently. The penetration was a lot better for a short burst. I now need to be more disciplined and start to get more consistent, maybe count to ensure an even weld during each burst? I'm from an aviation background and the thought of poor penetration to me screams major issues with cracking later down the line. Hopefully get some good welds to post soon!

12. Carlos Custom New Member

Hi Mayfair,
    Im just getting started with welding and need to source some gas. How did you get on with BOC? Im in West Sussex also and found a place online that supplies Adamgas (?) which seemed reasonable (£55 deposit, £35 for mix 5, 9 litre bottle and £14 delivery). Anyone with any experience adivce it'd be appreciated? Not called BOC yet so not sure how thay compares

Regards
    Carlos

13. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Look in the gas section, there is BOC offer on there. If you ring the local branch they won't know anything about it, it has to be set up through the head office I understand. I don't use it, I use Adams Gas as I don't use a lot. Someone will be along in a moment that uses BOC with the details.

14. Carlos Custom New Member

cheers cobbler, I dont think my usage will be massive but got a bit to do on my project. Ill call BOC tomorrow

Advertisements