Beetle corrosion - the horror!

1. Crater Creator

Crater Creator Member

Hi folks, I've been a bit quiet on here as I've been busy with groundworks (more driveway lock-blocking, the torrential rain is NOT helping!), but I've had a chance to take a closer look at the Beetle, I reckoned it needed a bit of looking at in the quarter panel and rear floorpan area, so I decided to take the plunge this week.
    I suppose it could be worse, the floorpan only needs about a square foot replaced, and the rear foot or so from the heater channel, then quarterpanel skin, paint etc.
    Nice wee job for the winter.... here's what I've found so far. The floor has also now been cut out, pics to follow. I have got replacement panels, heater channel bits etc ready to weld up.
    My only confusion is how the rear heater channel closing panel joins to the rear wheel arch - anyone any pointers/links?
    Also, I have 0.8mm wire in the MIG, which I use for most stuff, but I do have some 0.6mm wire - any benefit in using the 0.6mm?
    Cheers, IMG_0004.JPG IMG_0005.JPG IMG_0006.JPG IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0013.JPG

andy_v, slim_boy_fat and Rocketman like this.
  2. Rocketman Member

The 0.6mm should produce less heat when welding thin stuff so in theory you are less likely to blow through.

3. Crater Creator

Crater Creator Member

Right, thanks @Rocketman , I'll switch rolls to 0.6mm tomorrow - never had much practice on bodywork up till now. I'll do some trial runs on the good bit of the sheet I chopped out.

4. Rocketman Member

If you are welding like 1.5mm+ sheet the 0.8 should be fine. It's just when you get down to like 1.0mm sheet or below the 0.6 can help a lot.

5. RussT

RussT Member

Keep us updated on progress. I've got to do the same corner on my son's 1970 bug sometime soon. Will be studying forums like volkzone and samba for tips. Some of the repair panels leave a lot to be desired tho, may just bend some decent steel to shape for some bits instead, that heater closing section is apparently known as a bad fit.

6. Woody.v8

Woody.v8 Blue gluer

I find that 0.8 fills better than 0.6 as it takes some of the heat out ? , 0.6 wants to cut more than 0.8 and dosnt feed as well.

the snooper, pdg and addjunkie like this.
  7. optima21 Forum Supporter

I use 0.6mm on thin metal, Ive tried 0.8 several times, but get more consistant results with 0.6mm. I think most people on here will prefer 0.8mm though

8. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    Might be worth considering the "senseless death" thread . . .

9. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

NO AXLE STANDS :o:o:doh::vsad: or safety support only the jack

10. p0689109 Member

Does that mean he is banned from using this site!!!!

11. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I Beetle terms I don't think that even comes close to horror. The rest of it doesn't look that bad. It's clearly had some love, brake pipes,rocker covers etc

12. 500e

13. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

14. 500e

Neither do I but we don't see accidents till they happen! it is so easy to put a wheel or block under & as there is a whole thread only 2 days ago :dontknow:
    There is more than one accident on the thread

15. Crater Creator

Crater Creator Member

OK - axle stands will be going in before I get myself under there properly. I did actually have a beetle come off a jack onto me about 35 years ago....
    Yeah I have given her some TLC (totally new brakes all round, engine cleaned up, electronic ignition etc) but have been putting off the bodywork, but now it's MOT time so thought I might as well get stuck in.
    Not got a chance today - the weather was reasonable so I've been laying driveway all day.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  16. cliff366

cliff366 Member

Looks good tbh mine was like a pear all along the channels naps hat framehead front clip rear fire wall pretty much the whole lower 6" lol

17. Olderisbetter

Olderisbetter Forum Supporter

ts nasty looking but in beetle terms it normal, I have seen a really nice looking one that was later found to have both sides made from GRP and behind was 3x2 timber they had been fibre glassed around, At least you know you are fixing it the right way...using metal.
    This was mine not so long back now going through a few upgrades and re vamps
    [​IMG]

18. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Smart looking example there! :thumbup:

19. Crater Creator

Crater Creator Member

Very nice @Olderisbetter !
    I'm trying to go for the bog standard approach, just fixing what time has done to her. I sold the alloys the car came with and put on standard steel wheels etc.
    That exhaust looks very low to the ground ?

My plans have been delayed by having to go away for work for a few weeks, but I will hopefully get some "me-time" under the bug when I get home.

20. Olderisbetter

Olderisbetter Forum Supporter

Alot of what is done to my car was work by previous owners, Lots of £££ spent on bits that just look different, It has one of those 4" narrowed front beam and it was so low that every bump was scary, But the bearings bushes and brakes all need looking at so now it is in bits while i work out what to do.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements