Bedford TK Clutch/Gearbox issue

1. AndreaW New Member

Hi All

I am new to this forum but have been reading some very interesting tips and discussions, I now have a slight problem with my Bedford TK I would like some suggestions on, if anyone has any ideas.

It has been standing flat for about 12 months it started and moved fine then. Yesterday we started it fine but the clutch was jammed, we jumped it into gear, since then it is jammed in gear but the clutch appears free, then it won't start and appears to be 'dragging' something.

Suggestions greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. qwakers Member

time to take the gearbox off and take a look. id be on a separated friction disk with those symptoms..

can the gears be changed with the engine off?

stuvy and Ruffian like this.
  3. AndreaW New Member

Gears won't change now but the clutch appears free.

4. qwakers Member

have you tried taking the prop shaft off.? it could be under load and jamming it in gear.

5. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

my old Massey tractor used to do that..it was only used 1'nce per year.......
    get the engine warm so it starts easy (in neautral), put in first or reverse....strart it up with the clutch pedal down.....
    usually the clutch will free off after a couple of attempts....I did have 100 horse power in the engine tho.......
    once freed it worked fine for a few days then it got parked up till next year......
    it's only job was to drive a log saw in the woods....

as for ur TK, u can look thru the lower bell housing cover (tin plate)...prob 6x5/16 unc bolts....with someone pressing the clutch down...
    u can then get a flat screw driver to wiggle the stuck center plate from the flywheel and or the pressure plate....seperate the clutch center plate, turn the engine by hand a few degrees then re-wiggle till uve been all the way around......
    once free it will be fine with some use even if u only drive it around the yard......
    or take the box out ....mmmm.....
    didn't some of the TK's have a removable center drive shaft in the box....
    thats so u can change the clutch without removing the g/box.....may have been an ex Army model tho....

6. Melvyn Best Member

Take the box out, probably the easiest HGV box to remove. They were often removed over night !

7. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Just to eliminate a few things you need to run a few simple checks, Jack up the rear axle , get the air up and release the handbrake. This will free up any bind and you should then be able to get it out of gear. While it’s up on the stands you can then start it in gear and try and shock the clutch free of the flywheel with you foot hard down on the clutch/throttle and using the handbrake.

There are a few variations on brakes, some are vac over hydraulics and some air over hydraulics, if it’s air over you may need to charge the circuit from the tow coupling at the front under the bumper.

Bob

Dcal likes this.
  8. Matchless

Matchless Member

when you say "jumped it into gear" did you force it into gear with the engine running? if so you have probably goosed something in the box, diagnose it before removing the box, very hard to diagnose it when it is on the workshop floor and nothing looks wrong!

I have always found the best way is to get the engine warm, turn off, put it into gear, restart with it in gear and drive off with the clutch depressed, on and off the throttle if it does not free straight away, if it does not free it can be almost impossible to remove the gearbox unless the bell housing has a large access hole to unbolt the pressure plate, assuming that the shaft has stuck on the spline in the center plate as well as to the flywheel,

Advertisements