Bead Roller Cast or plate steel?

1. Snowy90

Snowy90 Member

2. Agroshield Member

The cast iron in the descriptions is misleading at best. About the only parts of the two machines that might be cast iron are the gears.

Just for giggles, ask the eBay seller to tell you what parts are made of what material.

stuvy and indy4x like this.
  3. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

think, 4 that kinda money I'd b making my own.....

4. Snowy90

Snowy90 Member

I did think that but I do not have any form of lathe to turn items and the cost of the dies are incredibly expensive. £30-50 a set.
    So a complete set up is expensive but ready to go?

5. Snowy90

Snowy90 Member

So you think it’s probably plate with cast gears? I will ask

stuvy likes this.
  6. Dcal Member

I've the Metz version.
    As @Argoshield says its made out of plate and I don't think even the gears are cast (would be better if they aren't)
    I can't see much difference between them but I've only experience of the Metz one.

With a few mods it can be made into a good tool with a lot of mods it can be made into a brilliant one.
    There is a thread on my mods on here somewhere.

stuvy likes this.
  7. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Metz says

The machine is constructed of

Flame cut rolled steel plate! Ensuring minimum deflection of the workpiece during forming operations

Cormak say

Made of cast iron and steel, it reduces the deformation of the shaped material to minimum
    (The gears look as if they might be cast)

8. Snowy90

Snowy90 Member

Or maybe they just mean the handle! I have asked but suspect you guys are right.
    If steel plate that makes it easy to brace as welding to cast is tricky

9. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Even the Metz ad includes the term "cast iron"
    Think some of the price for the Metz one is the stand as I am sure they use to advertise them without and separate price for stand.
    You should find lots of post where owners have beefed them up with some box along the length

10. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
  11. Snowy90

Snowy90 Member

They look good too, maybe it’s get the best deal and assume I will need to beef it up.

12. keithski122 Member

uk
    I f you get one and don't motorise it then replace the handle with a car steering wheel, easier to control the wheel than rotating a handle.

anjum, Wallace, Snowy90 and 1 other person like this.
  13. willie.macleod

willie.macleod Member

Amazon have cheaper still - looks like the same tool, just rebranded - link here.

14. Snowy90

Snowy90 Member

Thanks looks like the same one is on the bay at £129.00
    Looks good value

15. Wallace

Wallace Member

I bought a Metz specifically to modify, it is all steel. The rollers were badly machined and eccentric as are the gears. The bearing blocks are steel with no bearings so steel on steel with no grease nipples. The main plate will flex badly even on 1.2mm aluminium sheet as it is 3/8” thick from memory.

A friend bought one made from 3/4” plate (might be Stakesys) and that worked well out of the box and even better with a few
    modifications, wasn’t a great deal more cost wise either. Best mod he did was using an office chair foot ring as a handle much like the steering wheels people fit.

16. willie.macleod

willie.macleod Member

Can't see any on ebay for £129?

Anyway, this thread has been responsible for me spending more money. Ordered this one - comes with the stand but only 6 sets of dies (some of these cheap ones appear to come with a 7th shearing set).

17. stuvy

stuvy Member

I’m after a pair of Louvre dies for my metz one, is there any cheaper alternative than the £50 eBay ones?

jph likes this.
  18. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Interesting @Wallace I thought some of them looked a thicker frame For extra few £ might as well start with a thicker item

Don't know if this one is thicker but has grease nipples, looking at the rear view of the formers there may be bushes as well, I do see they cant bolt handle on in correct orientation.
    None of the yout-tube mods mention different thickness frames :dontknow:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/FlowerW-Sw...=1&keywords=bead+roller&qid=1584739129&sr=8-7

19. Wallace

Wallace Member

I just had a reply about about my friends one, it was not a Stakesys roller but one of the WNS range and he says it is 25mm not 19mm plate on the frame. Knowing what I do now about mine the WNS ones seem good value.

Dcal and stuvy like this.
  20. Snowy90

Snowy90 Member

Advertisements