Battery charge terminal on old Oxford transformer welder

1. Eyebrows Member

I was wondering whether someone may be able to shed some light here. I have an old Oxford bantam transformer welder. Its one of the ones with a fourth terminal on it for battery charging supposedly. I was just wondering how this was setup within the welder? How is the current and voltage regulated and how is the DC formed? I assumed it's rectified the single phase input but does it have any methods of smoothing the high frequency output of the rectifier (i.e. capacitors, chokes etc)? Is the voltage accurately regulated or is it a bit high and risk boiling batteries if you're not careful?

Not planning to charge batteries on it, maybe see if I can use it for a booster. Mainly just want to know how it works as I don't want to go about taking the heavy top off the welder!

2. gaz1

gaz1 Member

3. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

More likely that the 4th terminal is for a carbon arc torch, I cant remember seeing one with a battery charge facility.

4. brightspark

brightspark Member

as above carbon arc. it would have to have a rectifier if it charged battery's and they haven't a 12 volt supply tapping

5. Eyebrows Member

Not sure it is for a carbon arc torch, I'm pretty sure it mentions something about battery charging on it. I'm not actually with the welder until next week but I'll get a picture then and check properly what it says .

If it is for a carbon arc torch. Please excuse my ignorance but what are they and when are they used?

6. brightspark

brightspark Member

a carbon arc torch is hand held . its 2 carbon arc rods when touched together they arc and produce a lot of heat and can be used for heating or brazinghttps://

7. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

WorkshopChris likes this.
  8. eddie49 Member

Here's a label from a Bantam that has the feature:

Bantam-Oil-Cooled-Arc-Welder-battery-charger-booster.jpg

Wendelspanswick likes this.
  9. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

A friend of mine has the battery charger model

Advertisements