Basic Mig Welding Course - North Cheshire Manchester ?

1. Cheshire Tony Member

Can anyone suggest a basic course / introduction to Mig welding course in the Macclesfield or South Manchester areas ?

I don't need any formal qualifications, just time and advice to a complete beginner. I've been wanting to learn for sometime now and having made a dubious van purchase that needs new sills, now seems a perfect time.

My grandad used to make welding his living, but sadly he's no longer with us or I'd be knocking on his door.

Just want to learn enough to start with to do a decent job on that repair (after much practice) and then go on and try some other aspects.

2. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

At the top of the page there's a green bar, click on "MIG" and spend some time reading, also try looking for any local colleges for car restoration classes/courses these should include some welding tuition.

And welcome to the site...

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. Cheshire Tony Member

That’s helpful thanks, most of the local colleges are more interested in certification than those who just want to learn new skills. Probably because there’s more money in it for them I guess.

So you think with a little perseverance and some kit, you can teach yourself by trial and error ?

4. Greeves246 Member

5. Cheshire Tony Member

That’s great have phoned them, they are calling me back Monday. I get the impression that they do courses for companies but I hope they do a basic one as well.

6. SHogan

SHogan Member

Hi Tony, I farted around for ages trying to find a course and in the end just got a load of scrap and just got stuck in. Despite the bright lights and crackling noises the important thing to remember is that (assuming you've followed the basic safety elements!) the MIG torch isn't going to bite and the box of tricks the torch is attached to isn't going to explode the moment you pull the trigger. It's like a lot of things in that confidence is a key part of getting better. Make lots of mistakes and learn from them, take your time and watch loads of YouTube videos and ask questions here. There's a lot of great advice on improving technique and everyone has to start somewhere! (I'm still really s**t by the way, but getting better slowly, so don't take any of my advice...)

fizzy likes this.
  7. Greeves246 Member

Friend of mine went, they said bring your own hobby welder if you want as teaching you on yours is better than learning on a top of the range pro kit. Made sense as he was shown how to set it up correctly. Greeves 246

8. Cheshire Tony Member

Thanks for the above, I was a little worried about the safety aspect of it all and I suppose that was why in the main, I wanted instruction. Any skill takes time to learn and if I can’t kill the welder then I suppose there’s no harm in getting stuck in.

Learning on your own welding kit I would imagine makes complete sense, might look in to the Clarke 135 TE as a good starting point. This should be ok for cars etc ?

9. winchman

winchman Member

St.Helens College run a Mig and Tig course on two different night, excellent tuition and facilities, winch boy did his TIG there, I did my mig 20 odd years ago

10. Cheshire Tony Member

Thanks I have sent them an email enquiry. I will wait and see what they come back with. It’s further away but may well have the cheaper courses....

11. Cheshire Tony Member

Well first to come back was Wilson Welding Academy, £595 + Vat. Far too much for me.

St Helens College phoned, around £300 start in September. They have just started the current course 4 weeks ago. Just what I was looking for, so I’ll get myself a welder and practice between now and then.

Really impressed with the forum, thanks for all the friendly replies and help.

12. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Yes, you can. With help from here - never be afraid to ask :) - and YouTube I'm happily melting metal now - not to expert standards, but well enough for what I need as a hobbyist.

fizzy likes this.
  13. Cheshire Tony Member

Got myself a Clarke 135TE tonight, secondhand though - the journey begins.....

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements