Barronia bolts??

1. Working on on old Villiers engine this morning and referred to the manual for head bolt torque and tightening sequence and read that five of the head bolts were "special Barronia bolts" to be installed where shown. They are a coppery colour with a B on the head.
    Friend Google is not very informative about them - any information will be of interest.

2. Migmac

Migmac Member

3. GrahamGKD

GrahamGKD Forum Supporter

Bournemouth UK
    Doesn’t help much but I guess they are bolts supplied by the Barronia Metals Co - just found out that they had a wartime factory in Hereford, where I was born. Just possible that my grandad worked there since I know he worked in a munition’s factory during WW2 (having been on the front line during WW1).

Wallace likes this.
  4. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

?

1937 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Copper Alloys for the engineering industries, including Barronia Corrosion Resistant Bronze. Saunders' Barronia Valves. Barronia Condenser and Heat Exchanger Tubes. Chill cast Bronze in well known Nickel Lead "Berdo" range. (Stand No. D.605a)

Dcal likes this.
  5. Thank you all for the research. The bolts in question are five out of eight cylinder head ones arranged around the bore and valves where, I guess, they get hottest and may be more prone to corrosion' so may be that's where their anti corrosive properties may come into play.
    On some of their engines a well known American manufacturer uses three longer head bolts around the exhaust valve on their L head (side valve) lumps and they can be a B* to get out without bringing the thread with them.

6. mymini86

mymini86 Life is the sum of all your choices.

[​IMG] [​IMG] I think this is the modern day equivalent...

7. Keith 66 Member

Essex UK
    Would Silicon bronze be an alternative?, i use this stuff for boat work & it is excellent, well pricy though.
    Anglia Stainless stock Sil bronze screws & bolts in quite a wide range of sizes plus rod & bar.
    It is horrible stuff to cut threads on.

8. zeppelin builder

zeppelin builder Member

9. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Last Villiers I worked on was a 9E cant remember anything special

Advertisements