>B< Press Plumbing Fittings

1. earthman Member

http://www.conexbanninger.com/product_range.php?brands_id=1

Anyone used or got any experience of these?

How much roughly does the press tool cost? Can you get it into tight corners for examples??

I haven't got a particular plumbing job to do, just thinking of the odd repair etc that may crop up in the future.:)

2. Kayos

Kayos Member

I use X press on commercial jobs, can get gas and water fittings

Machine with jaws up to 35mm was about £1k including vat

3. earthman Member

I were hoping that you could get the press tool for a lot cheaper than that,.....I guess that it's not aimed at the home gamer then?:laughing:

4. Kayos

Kayos Member

You might be able to get a manual crimp tool, I used to hire before I bought, £120 a week

5. waddycall

waddycall Member

United Kingdom
    We have a mapress tool at work. It’s great except in tight corners. You need to plan things a bit more carefully to make sure you can always get the tool on the fitting. It’s nice to not have to worry about setting fire to things!

Sean likes this.
  6. earthman Member

7. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    Look for an afp101 tool - they have no complex electronics inside and do not have to be sent away for 'calibration'

They often end up cheap on eBay because when the batteries get tired they just stop working and the relay makes a clicking/buzzing noise and people think they are junk. The jaws are rare now though, you need the rothenberger branded ones because all the others are too large

earthman likes this.
  8. HughF

HughF Member

I put my 15/22/28 kit together for about 200 quid. I converted the 9.6v NiMh pack to a 3s 18650 pack using parkside cells and a Chinese bms pcb

9. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

When was there ever the need to replace perfectly acceptable soldered fitting with "0" ringed fittings with a dubious life expectancy? Seem to be the answer to a problem that never existed :dontknow:

Bob

mtt.tr, slim_boy_fat and brightspark like this.
  10. HughF

HughF Member

When hot works insurance and the associated paperwork became more expensive than the tool :)

mtt.tr, mike os, slim_boy_fat and 5 others like this.
  11. Kayos

Kayos Member

I dont use them on domestic stuff but some bigger places like care homes or student flats its push fit or press fit, I know which one I trust long term

mike os likes this.
  12. HughF

HughF Member

All jokes aside, if it allows you to get rid of a hefty chunk of insurance and some method statements/pre job risk assessments (commercial/industrial obviously) then the tool will probably pay for itself on the first job.

Not to mention the availability of carbon steel fittings (cheap and good enough for non potable water, I think they're used for sprinkler lines) and also stainless and inconel. Sunseeker use the inconel stuff for all the sea water plumbing on their boats.

13. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    Only problem weve had is sometimes you just run out of space for the tool. Problems arise when the jaws start their cycle and as it pulls in to alignment the fitting moves so you dont get full slip or the jaws grab the back of the fitting and you end up with a Mickey Mouse ear on the back and a mangled fitting.
    If you dont have full slip the hex crimp thats the mechanical fixing of the joint distorts the tube and th o ring cant seal.

Brilliant system if you buy through the rep of a particular fitting you can get discount, think we were getting Novapress offered at below £500. The jaws do Bpress, X press etc so its not like your locked into one system.

14. earthman Member

I've never actual had a go at soldering a plumbing fitting, this takes a bit of practice/skill to get right, my guess is that puts off many home owners from even attempting a repair. I'll happily use a compression type fitting, I'm not keen on all this plastic push fit stuff when it comes to pipes that have to cope with constant pressure but I would use it if I had no other choice. Just thought that these B fittings may have been another option for me but possibly not.

15. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

It'll be cheaper to waste a handful of end feed fittings to practice your soldering, it really isn't hard.

earthman likes this.
  16. Kayos

Kayos Member

I agree on new pipe on the floor or a bench, however soldering to old pipe that still has water in, while you are leaning upside down through a trap in the floor takes a bit more practise

17. earthman Member

Exactly, it's all very well practicing on the bench with clean fittings etc but chances are, that would have been months ago before I'm faced with an actual repair job so I'm back to square one on the skill front too.:laughing:

18. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    If you do the prep and have a decent torch soldering a fitting is easy to learn, once you've done a few you'll be fine. What you gain from experience is knowing the minimum amout of heat you need, the amount of solder to feed in and the order to do multi way joints.

earthman likes this.
  19. Sean Another 602 fan

Edinburgh
    as a home gamer its not really worth it, diy just use compression.

earthman and slim_boy_fat like this.
  20. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

I looked into it a few years go and decided there was no real benefits over a decent push fit system... but then it was all aluplex and not compatible with 15/22mm tube without an adapter

Unless the fittings are significantly cheaper than push fit I'm still not convinced it is given the cost of a crimper

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
Advertisements