At last .......

1. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

...…………. I've just started to weld!!:scared:

Long story short. Joined the forum about 8 years ago with the intention of doing lots of 'welding things'. Well, with good intentions and all that, life just got in the way - work, family, illness - and nothing happened. Dipped in and out of the forum now and again as the interest was still there - still nothing happened.
    Wind forward to the present and been on forum regularly for a few weeks or so, purchased a welder and all the bits and pieces, and at the weekend had about an hour to put everything together, dig out some bits of metal, fire up the mig and make my first few 'welds' :vsad:

Mig1.jpg

Mig2.JPG

Mig3.JPG

Mig4.JPG

I did these on the deck in a sheltered part of my sideway so not comfortable and definitely not the best place, and I played around with the various settings on the mig. Anyway, questions for you are:

1) What am I doing wrong?

2) How can I tell the penetration is good in thicker steel? (The steel in the pic is just over 3mm and the areas on the back where the heat discolouration is, are very slightly 'lumpy')

2) I appreciate that I need to keep practicing, but how do I know how good a weld is? (I can't beat the cr4p out of everything I weld :dontknow:)

Will set up better this weekend, and spend a decent amount of time practicing on some clean steel of various thickness.

Appreciate any feedback :thumbup:

Nick

fizzy, optima21, stuvy and 1 other person like this.
  2. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

There not actually too bad for a first go

fizzy, Yamhon, Nick DV and 1 other person like this.
  3. stuvy

stuvy Member

Weld two pieces together and cut it in half to check the weld penetration

Nick DV likes this.
  4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Not much. For your first go, pretty good. :thumbup:

fizzy, stuvy and Nick DV like this.
  5. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

Thank you chaps, I wasn’t expecting that!
    Got some clean steel now including some 0.9mm so I will set up properly and practice everything I can ;)

I got to get it right, I’ve a body repair and a bumper to build for my 4x4 :dontknow:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. MoreWellie Member

a friend got fed up with his competition land rover bumper bending every time he clipped something on the off road courses so he built an immaculate 5mm plate version to pass scrutineering

first day he used the new bumper, he clipped something and stopped dead because ..... the bumper didn't bend :doh:

fizzy, slim_boy_fat, stuvy and 2 others like this.
  7. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

I bet his bumper cost a lot less than the ‘competition’ bumper too! :thumbup:

slim_boy_fat and stuvy like this.
  8. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

Sorry for the silly question, but these are obviously straight push/pull welds, so can this method be used for continuous welding when it's required, or should I be practicing continuous welding with the 'e' or 'v' style that looks 'professional'? :dontknow:

TIA :)

9. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Those are continuous welds.
    Brilliant for your first time but the beads look too fat to me - like sausages. What amps are you running?
    Although there will be people who are far more knowledgeable than me along who can give you better advice.

Nick DV likes this.
  10. Nick DV

Nick DV Member

Thanks for that Fizzy. I had a feeling I was too slow as opposed to too fast! Apart from pulling the trigger to load the wire, this was the first time I ever touched a mig so I was having a ‘play’ with the settings. I have a Supermig 150 and I was playing between Min 2 and Max 1 - Max 2 seemed to much - and was varying speed and gas. I should have made a note of everything.

Advertisements