Are these welds ok?

1. Whiffers New Member

So I've been practicing with my mig since my last attempt outside went wrong and just wandered if experienced people thought these were ok?
    20180211_131444.jpg I've included pics of both sides. 20180211_131437.jpg any opinions or advice appreviated.

AdiWeld likes this.
  2. Jlg

Jlg Member

For body work they look ok

3. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

The backside looks to be one sheet, where’s the joint line in between the welds?

4. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

It's a bit lapped onto another bit.

5. Whiffers New Member

Yes it is just a bit I scrap I welded on to a bigger bit.
    It is for body work on my car. I cant seem to do long beads of welds yet as I seem to just end up burning through. So for now I'm just trying it like this.
    (All the welds will be hidden under plasic trim so it doesn' have to look pretty)

6. Jlg

Jlg Member

That's how you do body work lots of tacks all the way around

Shedendman and Whiffers like this.
  7. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

I thought it was one of those join the dots puzzles :thumbup: have a look at the tutorials on the forum header, look at the thin metal technique, virtually the same as your doing but joining up the spot welds

Whiffers likes this.
  8. Jlg

Jlg Member

Yeah but you get less heat in the metal that way what I didn't make clear is all the tacks have to join up

Shedendman and Whiffers like this.
  9. Richard.

Richard. Member

That looks meaty enough for stitches rather than spots. If you burn through take the wire speed down a touch. Try again take it down a bit more. Etc. If the welding then becomes lacking fill knock it down a voltage setting. Play about till you find a nice setting to achieve it in stitches. Anything 1mm or thicker doesn’t need the TMT (thin metal technique).
    This is not the way you weld thin material. If your going to do it with tacks you stack the tacks one after another to produce a series of tacks together. You weld then stop and just as it’s going from red to black you strike again. This means the blob on the end of the wire will make good contact as it’s connecting to red hot metal. A lap joint as you show above is a far easier joint to go in with a bit of power. A butt joint is more difficult and outside corners in 1mm or less are a real test of skill if you can’t get in behind them. In which case I’ve got the luxury of a tig set to sort those out.

davidjohnperry and Whiffers like this.
Advertisements