Anyone tried one of these?

1. fixerupper

fixerupper Member

2. bourbon Member

It is from China, But cheap enough. I got my first one (still using it) for £16. OK for hobby use

3. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

4. fixerupper

fixerupper Member

Thanks guys ...my 10 year old helmet a single shade cheapy just gave up , and stopped darkening. I left it in the sun for a bit but no joy ... this one has a bigger area , variable shade and grinder mode...so it's an upgrade ... and cheap enough ..

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  5. mrsbruce

mrsbruce Forum Supporter

The Chinese site ‘banggood’ (terrible name, I know) do these helmets for something like £12 upwards.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. John Hale Member

I have an R-tech equivalent (see below) and find it satisfactory but thats it took a little adjusting though that's not an issue, but what is is that it lets in a lot of light from the back of the helmet, which I find distracting. I also own a ESAB Warrior which although has a smaller viewing area is the better helmet of the two.

https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/r-tech-speedmaster-xl-auto-welding-helmet/

fixerupper likes this.
  7. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator Staff Member

Still using my ebay cheapie after I guess around 8 years, it's looking like something only fit for the skip but it still works fine.

Funnily enough I got a new Parweld for Xmas a couple of years ago but always use the ebay one, suppose I am just used to it so tend to pick it up first. :dontknow:

8. slim_boy_fat

Aye, be careful if Googling for the site though - get the two words in the name transposed like I did, and a whole other world opens up. :o

You do NOT want to go there......:vsad:. (types he, thereby ensuring that's exactly what happens next :whistle:). Remember this is a family-friendly forum.

mrsbruce likes this.
  9. MattF

MattF Member

Cheers. Now I'm gonna have to resist the temptation of giving some search engine "advice" in Ivor's thread. :D

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. mrsbruce

mrsbruce Forum Supporter

What have I done.:scared:

Ruffian and slim_boy_fat like this.
  11. fixerupper

fixerupper Member

Yes the Rtech looks great ..I had half decided to get something like that and was hanging on for a welding/repair job to pay for it..when the old one stopped working. There are welding supply shops out here but very little choice and no auto welding lids under the 100..150 euro price... I went for the ebay one ..large view area , variable shade , grinder mode and 99 pence delivery ...

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    Just remember one thing. As much as we all like to pay little as possible when can but you only get one set of eyes. Don't skimp on a lid.

MalcolmX likes this.
  13. fixerupper

fixerupper Member

I know where you are coming from spencer , and I agree. However I've done about 10 mins welding in the last four months ...and I think the ebay job is a better and safer lid than the old one that has packed up ,just 'cos it's variable and newer.

spencer 427 likes this.
  14. spencer 427 Member

uk colchester
    Fair play mate

fixerupper likes this.
  15. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I bought a new screen for £10 for my old helmet.

fixerupper likes this.
  16. Ed. Member

One thing, it doesn't say is what the speed of the lens is to activate it!

17. fixerupper

fixerupper Member

Good point , it just says adjustable delay ....we will see...

18. Ed. Member

At least it has four sensors, most of the cheap helmets have only two and somewhere about 20ms reaction time. Just curious why they didn't list the speed.

19. slim_boy_fat

If it's the same as mine [which I suspect is the case] its fast enough - well, I've never had arc eye or anything.

20. 123hotchef Member

might just need a new battery

Advertisements