Anyone recommend an affordable all round gun, capable of spraying both epoxy mastic and paint?

1. hurricane Member

Hi fellas,
    Got looking at my dads gun and thinking of investing in something better.

Recommendations?

Cheers

2. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

I think we need a bit more more information.

What kind of "paint"
    What size compressor do you have
    What's your budget
    What gun does your da have?

You will struggle to to get epoxy mastic out of a standard gun unless you way over-thin it and do away with most of the advantages of the epoxy mastic.
    If you just over-thin it something with a 2.5 fluid tip is needed and that's far too big for car paint.
    You either need two guns. Or two set ups (fluid tip, needle and aircap)

3. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Just thinking about this you could also go with the Lechler epoxy (or similar) which could be sprayed with the same gun setup as your top coat.

However, according to the Lechler TDS I've seen, it's not specifically recommend for your application.
    Is is well regarded though and if your prep is perfect it will be suitable.

No doubt @ajlelectronics will be along to say it will be fine, but I try to only recommend materials based on the manufactures published information.

4. What is the application then? I thought that he was painting a car? I would suggest a DevillBis GPi which can be supplied with 1.4 and 1.8 tips, so dual purpose. Spraying Jotun however may not be so easy, I would reach for my gravity gun with 2.2 if there was some reason why I couldn't brush it on.

That having been said, I use Lechler universally having not been impressed with the time it takes to flat the Jotun back for finishing coats.

5. carbon

carbon Member

Dcal likes this.
  6. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

we

Sound advice, the OP might query the affordability side of it.

If I was applying it to the shiny bits of a car I would use the Lechler. If I wanted it to last I would prep it so it was as good as new steel.

If I was covering it with 3mm of stone chip on top of steel I couldn't properly prep, I would use the Jotun.
    Different applications so different approaches.

I'm struggling to find any info from Lechler saying it can be applied on less than perfectly prepared steel.
    It doesn't even say on can be applier over old paints (though from experience, obviously it can)

I don't like to give advice that deviates from the manufacturer instructions and when I do I try to be upfront about the issues as I see them.

It's steel, it's prepaired to a quantifiable level, it's in a particular corrosion environment so I don't care if it on a car or not.

If you can't apply to to the manufacturers recommendations all bets are off.

hurricane likes this.
  7. Turbo Member

Fast Mover do a kit with 2 or 3 tip & needle combinations, should cover most jobs.

vw1 and steveo3002 like this.
  8. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    what's your dad's gun best at spraying? If it already does epoxy then get a decent gun specifically for paint.

I think I got a 1.5mm tip on my Graco Finex HVLP gun and it sprays all sorts pretty well... did an entire car in metallic paint a few years ago and it sprayed primer, base and clearcoat just fine, could have done with a smaller nozzle for clear to make it easier for me, but it managed to lay a lovely deep clearcoat without any orange peel.
    Nowadays it gets used for etch primer and thinned down trade paint on steelwork....

9. hurricane Member

Not sure on the brands of gun, will check tomorrow when out at shed fellas, been away with work....couple of days of now

10. A bit too far to walk from Ireland. :D

ronan likes this.
  11. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

That graco is it any good for steel work, railings, gates and trailers?

12. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Over a year on, I wonder how the OP got on? Not been on since Sept 2019.

13. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    It works... but it's not great for speed.
    I thin down phosphate primer and gloss by around 10% white spirit and it comes out lovely and smooth... BUT the 1.5 tip is still undersized, so you're not getting much flow, even if it atomizes nicely.

I started using the other gun lying around which was an old clarke gun 1.8 tip
    https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/pgf...MIu--26ciz6QIVgevtCh3hHQTJEAQYASABEgLY-fD_BwE
    I think?
    It lays on a bit thicker and faster, even if the fan control isn't great and it doesn't "feel" nice to use... So I tend to use the Clarke mostly now. Did the entire cattle trailer with it, worked a treat, also my big grey cabinet which looks fantastic. To be fair, Johnstones Gloss is very forgiving!

I keep looking at getting some sort of cheap airless setup though... would be faster and handier, not needing air supply.

Advertisements