Anyone have any experience of Satellite Broadband?

1. More Amps Member

Having moved from the north-west of Englandshire (where I had the joys of FTTH - fibre broadband to the home - with speeds upto 200Mbps) I now find myself facing my nemesis BT...I was about to commit to them and bracing myself for the usual deluge of Flip flop about why they can't connect me for three months and speeds "might be upto 3Mbps" (wow!) due to distance from exchange and old copper cables etc, when someone suggested satellite broadband as an alternative.

The last time I looked at it, satellite was horrendously expensive and offered a weirdly asymmetrical upload/download balance, but things appear to have moved on with a local supplier, Borderlink, offering speeds from 15 - 1000Mbps, with prices starting at £25 per month....plus installation (cost unspecified on website)

So, if anyone has any experience of satellite broadband, or any other solutions that avoid lengthy ancient copper cables strung from wooden posts, it would be good to hear about any pros and cons.

2. Parm

Parm Metal Tinkerer

I don't know about the most up to date situation, but it certainly looks appealing with those prices and speeds. I live in a rural location and have to make do with the least part of Mildred all speed.

About ten years ago worked moved in to a new office. All organised by the office manager. Tied in to a five year deal which on face value was very cheap, then we found out there was no phone or internet. BT wanted upwards of £200k to dig 2 miles of road and lay cables etc so we went for satellite. Worked very well to run a busy office with multiple phone lines and computers. It cost about £6K to have the kit installed. don't know about running costs

3. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Depends on data allowances.
    They could make it a deal breaker.

4. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Don't know anything personally but my son-in-law and partner started a satellite broadband service in the north west including telephone etc. and it is going very well with lots of satisfied customers, serves areas that otherwise have a very slow connection.

Parm likes this.
  5. maz0

maz0 Member

Like elusivemite says, the allowances were the deal breaker for me. I found a 4G contract with virgin for £25 per month and get around 40mb (speeds) unlimited download. My BT landline gets 3mbs and is currently unplugged as I'm stuck in a 12 month contract which I will be hopefully cancelling this month. BT are Jabberwocky really.

Unfortunately both 4G and satellite don't do online gaming well, so another issue for me.

Let us know how you get on with the satellite, I'm keen to know if its suitable for me to.

6. Parm

Parm Metal Tinkerer

Gordon

Would you mind sending me some details via PM

7. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
    Used the Tooway system in a remote part of the Outer Hebrides. It worked pretty well, and much faster than the broadband at home at the time, though recent fibre speeds have overtaken that experience. There was always a slight delay after entering a new URL, to allow the satellite cache time to buffer some content, before is all spewed down from space at a high rate of bits.

Data allowances are finite, rather than unlimited, and data rates are throttled back once the monthly limit is approached, and uncapped again, for a few sovereigns more, per month.

The installation can be moved around, provided it remains within the area covered by the footprint of one of the satellite's onboard antennas (each satellite has several, arranged a bit like mobile phone cell-sites), though it is possible to move to another footprint for an administration fee, I believe, and still remain on the same contract.

8. WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

9. More Amps Member

Would that be Wave by any chance? An ex-colleague was about to sign up with them, but I left before he got connected so don't know how things panned out.

10. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

You are correct More Amps.

11. More Amps Member

Same old problem...guess too low and get penalised for top-ups, guess too high and waste money... or go unlimited and pay through the nose. I work from home and dont bother with gaming or videos (unless kids are visiting) and my usage probably fluctuates like a yo-yo depending how busy I am!

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  12. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

I'm typing this on a satellite link, it's quite good as long as the scaffs don't Hogg the bandwidth with FaceTime!

Parm likes this.
  13. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Ive looked into this, as were just over the boarder from you and currently converting a couple of barns to holiday lets, we get 2.7 on a good day down the copper, a mile down the drive they have fiber.

If you can get 4 G, an omni directional external ariel to a router with an unlimited sim might be a solution.

Twas data allowances that put me off satellite.

But just looked at wave....tempting But would need to move

14. RWD3M Member

Friends of ours live about twenty minutes drive up a single track lane from Crawford (so possibly not a million miles from you) and they have been on satellite for a few years now. I couldn't tell you how much they pay but the only thing they have said is that the signal gets a bit flaky in bad weather. No different to Sky TV I suppose.

15. fixerupper

fixerupper Member

Yeah we are on Tooway , we have had it for more than 10 years ...it is the only alternative up in the mountains of Eastern Crete ...it's good now, when we first had it we had teething problems of dropping out, slow. We had a good relationship with the Bentley walker tech support guys ..I think we were the south of Europe R'N'D department....We are capped at 40 gig a month and pay 60 quid for that , between 12 midnight and 6 am the cap is removed so if we want to download large files we do it overnight ....It's good to be independent up here, the landline and the electric goes of in the winter a fare bit ..but with the diesel genny we are always online .... Bentley Walker do offers so you get the kit ,dish and mount, tria , cable, modem .. free now and again ,it's a straight forward DIY set up if you are in any way handy, there is a cd to explain how set it up and fine tune the dish ...you need a compass and a drill and a few spanners....

16. JonE Forum Supporter

We often stay in place on the north coast with satellite broadband, it's honestly not too bad, as long as you can live with the latency - the impact will totally depend on what you are doing (general browsing is okay(ish), remote working is pretty rough, gaming would be a no-no). And as others have said, data caps will also be an issue..

No decent wired broadband where we live either. Our main link is a fixed wireless installation through a company called Briskona. I believe they have coverage in the borders also, odds are slim that it's your area, but perhaps worth an enquiry?

We also have fail-over to a 3G modem. Three and Smarty offer unlimited (well, 1TB/month) mobile data packages with no speed caps if you have decent coverage? Here they get a bit congested/rubbish at peak times, hence only being a backup link..

maz0 likes this.
  17. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Back in the day I remember that with satellite you still needed a phone connection for it to operate, in simple terms the requests were sent via dial up but the download came via satellite. I guess things have moved on since then.

As @addjunkie says mobile data sim could be an option, one of my boys watches a mountain bike Youtuber who has move to a place where he has his own trails but the broadband is so bad it would take hours to upload videos. He fitted and aerial high up on the end of the house and was able to a reliable 4G signal.

It's a crazy world we live in, we expect connectivity yet there are so many places it's not possible.Sometimes you win in an area with poor connectivty because when it comes you get the latest and greatest. My father in law lives in SE London in a nice area and he can't even get fibre yet people in his road can! We live in the sticks and have 70meg.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  18. More Amps Member

Thanks to everyone for the responses - the forum never fails! I have put in a request to Borderlink for them to arrange a site visit to take a look at installation and discuss data allowances, contract details and pricing along with anything else I can think of. Have heard good second-hand reports so far regarding Borderlink, but I may be overly cynical, but I'm always wary of people who insist that that whatever they've just bought is the best widget ever - until said widget is replaced at a later date when the story suddenly changes and the previous widget is suddenly the worst ever and had all sorts of problems (which were never mentioned during their ownership) and the new replacement widget is the dog's danglies - what's that all about?

I'll keep you all updated if/when it goes ahead.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  19. ukracer Forum Supporter

What ever you do if your feed is capped or metered don't get connecting windows 10.

I had mine on my vodafone hotspot and it appears to have decimated my monthly allowance to the tune of 70GB in less than 24 hours..

20. More Amps Member

Currently working off two laptops - a Lenovo running windows 10 purely for work purposes, and a clockwork Samsung which refuses to die and still runs XP with no problems (famous last words!) I'll certainly make a note to ask about potential windows 10 issues and report back what they have to say about it.

Advertisements