Anyone familiar with wood and supply lengths?

1. T.E.D. Jordan Member

UK -Cumbria
    I know every type of metal supply there is to know and what typical lengths are available in each type of supply... But when it comes to wood I've no idea...

I'm needing to build an out-door open faced wood store that's roofed. It'll need to be around 10ft long, 3ft deep and incorporate a coal store and kindling store.

My question is, what supply's does 'wood' come in and what should I be looking at using? I want something like this ideally:

[​IMG]

I'm a complete noob with wood like I say so what kind of sizes/lengths are pretty standard?

Jordan

2. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

If you have a Travis Perkins depot down your way then have a walk in...they stock that sort of stuff for fencing posts and decking etc, you want the treated timber of course.

Lengths usually go from about 3 metres to 8 metres.

Not sure about the cladding, last time I wanted similar I got it cut at a sawmill.,,, was a few years ago now and can't remember the cost.

and don't try welding it together ;)

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/building-a-wood-store-t49162.html

3. rosinante

rosinante Member

wood

Well it grows on trees, but man generally cuts up to suit, for what you want visit a fencing/ out door building type of retailer,this will be tanalised to give more durability, general units these days are the metric foot,ie multiples of 300 mm eg 1.8m = 6ft ,2.4, = 8ft etc sorry about the imperial/metric mish mash but that is what I have found to be the case,thicknesses are the same,as said fencing contractors /farm building suppliers etc are your best bet, iirc there are a couple of places that do timber on the industial est at Millom if you are near there,failing that the B&Q type out lets do it ,with a bit of planning and small flexibility on size you should be able to build it without much cutting,get a sharp hard point saw and you will be done,
    HTH
    Chris

4. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Thats made from fencing wood so the 4x4 is available in 4, 6 and 8 foots. The cladding comes in 4, 5, 6 foot lenghts. The smaller lath comes in anything up to 4.8mtr Its also been pressure treated.

5. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I just stack the wood on a pallet and chuck a sheet over it :D Get some nails and you can make the wood any length you want. ;)

6. garethp Forum Supporter

sw scotland
    Dont even think about buying from a DIY shop :D

Where abouts in cumbria are you? I use the sawmill at Canonbie north of Longtown, he's cheap and will cut/pressure treat whatever size and length I want.

I've just built a log store - 18ft long, 4ft deep, 6ft high at the front, 4ft high at the back to fit over a fence, I'll have a look tonight and see what the costs were to give you an idea of what to look for - the only prices I can remember now are £1.80 for a 5' long 3" sq treated fence post and 10p per foot for 3"x.75" fencing slats.

7. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    I use rose bank saw mill near dalston for fence type stuff. Much cheaper than DIY stuff and better quality

8. feen Member

Scottish Borders
    Go to your local timber merchant and ask for 18mm tanalised sarking board. ShOuld be available in 3.6 or 4.8m lengths.

And slope the roof down to the back, not the front.

JF.

9. brightspark

brightspark Member

that is the back :laughing:its obviously been filled from the other side which is higher :whistle:

10. T.E.D. Jordan Member

UK -Cumbria
    Didn't expect as many local posters! I'm from wigton but work in carlisle.

Thanks for the advise guys. I do need the roof sloping 'away' from the front face, just because where its going to sit the roof run-off will be better sent to the back.

I'll check out canonbie and dalston for sure.

Garethp - prices (and pics) would be great

Lots of great info guys - thanks!

Jordan

11. garethp Forum Supporter

sw scotland
    The frame is 4x2, floor 6x1 on 4x2, roof 6x.75 and the ends and dividers are slab (sawmill waste @ £15 per 1/2 ton). The roof is yet to be felted. The whole lot is sitting on old concrete kerbs laid flat to keep the wood off the ground.

I designed it to be modular using 12ft lengths with no waste and I've got space to easily add two more bays if needed. Thinking about it I'm sure its 5ft high at the back - not 4ft.

IIRC all that was left after construction was 3 2ft pieces of 4x2 :D

• IMG00299-20130201-1416.jpg
  12. brightspark

brightspark Member

[

IIRC all that was left after construction was 3 2ft pieces of 4x2 :D[/QUOTE] did u use them for something else or burn them :laughing:

13. garethp Forum Supporter

sw scotland
    Burn treated wood? :whistle:

I tend to keep decent size pieces as they'll come in useful for something, but then again the stove we have needs a lot of feeding :D

14. cazl1994 Member

carmarthenshire
    normally come in 2.4 ,3.6,4.2,4.5 and 4.8
    treated wood is fine to burn were we,re working now they have a wood burner already in the house and we've been burning the off cuts as they come off the saw and its fine does'nt half make a difference in the place on frosty mornings
    caz.

15. garethp Forum Supporter

sw scotland
    To be honest I burn the off cuts, plenty of people say not to due to the chemicals involved but the council round here shred and burn household waste as 'fuel' - I'd rather get the heat in my house :D

I had a look at prices I've scribbled down - 2x2 £2.20, 4x2 £4.30, 6x.75 £2.50 all 12ft lengths and ex vat.

16. T.E.D. Jordan Member

UK -Cumbria
    Gareth - thats a manly sized logshed! Good effort!

Thanks for the pic and prices, thats great for me to expand on.

Jordan

17. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    Will take photos of mine 20x8 with tin roof, log store down one side

18. garethp Forum Supporter

sw scotland
    Is this going to turn into a mines bigger than your's thread? :clapping:

Advertisements