Any suggestions

1. srx600 Member

I need to repair a crack in a motorbike frame [​IMG]and [​IMG]. Current plan is to drill teh ends of the crack, grind out the crack to about half depth of tube and then run a weld round the tube. At the moment I have no idea of the tube thickness but I would guess around 1.5-2mm.
    Does this sound like the right approach and what sort of wire thickness should I be using ?
    Thanks

2. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

Sounds like a sensible approach, although I'd imagine the crack will return in time as it looks like fatigue.

It looks like that's a high stress area with the gap between the two lugs. Is there room to weld a bit of metal in to make one continuous lug rather than two seperate ones? It would really reduce the stress if you got rid of any sudden changes in section in that area.

Otherwise it might make some sense to weld up the crack, grind it down and weld a double thickness of metal on top (with plenty of plug welds through) to take some of the stress out of the area.

3. srx600 Member

Thnaks for that. The lower lug support the sidestand which is also tearing of the frame (couldnt get a piccy of that). I'll weld in an support between the two section as extra support.
    Also whats a 'plug'

4. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

Advertisements