Any respectable rivals to TWI courses?

1. Curiousgeorge Member

Hello all.
    I’ve been looking at the various weld inspection courses offered by the TWI (I’d only be able to do the 3.0) but realise it’s s lot of cash.

Perhaps a silly question but are there any reputable / respectable alternatives to these courses that are still respected in the game?

2. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

PCN through Lavender International

Mid Wales welder likes this.
  3. Curiousgeorge Member

Thanks for that, any other options, please?

4. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Thats it mate, You've got CSWIP or PCN. Two recognised choices.

5. Dave Adams New Member

Lavenders do a PCN course - visual welding inspection qualification, but check if the PCN quall is acceptable with the company your working for.
    I only use CSWIP for my visual quall & PCN for all the NDT's

6. Mid Wales welder

Mid Wales welder Welder coding and NDT services

The usual way people go about it is CSWIP welding inspector and PCN for the NDT stuff. If you are going down the PCN route then you can do either welding inspector or visual inspection. CSWIP has the bigger clout for welding inspector though, I know a few companies that will only accept CSWIP.

Munkul likes this.
  7. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    CSWIP for weld inspector, but if you have PCN level 2 in DPI, MPI and UT then those are your main NDT skills and you WILL need them no matter what sort of inspection area you're going for - e.g. plant inspector will still need NDT tickets, and PCN L2 is THE one that we always look for.

Problem with CSWIP is that to have a signed off 3.1 or 3.2 you need the experience.

8. Mid Wales welder

Mid Wales welder Welder coding and NDT services

I have CSWIP 3.1 plus PCN 2 DPI, MPI & UT. You need to get your experience in even with the NDT tickets, MPI & DPI are 4 months if going straight to level 2 and UT is 12 months, the hours can be reduced if doing more that one at a time and you can also do accelerated experience, but you still need experience for PCN to issue your certification.

Munkul likes this.
Advertisements