Any ideas for waterproof seats for a soft top jeep?

1. rcx132

rcx132 Philip

The seats in my jeep are FUBAR, the springs have cut into the foam and the material is worn. What are my options for waterproof seats in case the soft-top is left down when it rains, or for mud protection as its a 4x4. Do you think it's possible to get the seats done in waterproof material and somehow seal the seams?

[​IMG]

2. sako243

sako243 Member

Leather? :dontknow:

In all seriousness back in the original days of the car leather was for the plebs up front driving the owner who was in the back on a comfy cloth seat under cover.

I fitted a set of seats out of a 2007 Range Rover to my Defender and they're much easier to wipe down after the dogs have been in them. OK they're fully electric which may not be the best if left to the elements but the leather is very easy to wipe down and keep clean (not that I do with the two labs jumping in and out the whole time).

When they're slightly cleaner
    DSC_0028 (1).JPG
    And not...
    DSC_0014.JPG

3. tom2207 Member

google Plant seats ,, the sort they use on diggers and dumpers , they are built to live out side .

Or make a dog guard , and they can live in the back , safer too.

stuvy and rcx132 like this.
  4. Wildefalcon Member

Waterproof seat covers?

5. sako243

sako243 Member

OP mentioned nothing about dogs? :dontknow:

6. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

What about waterproof slip on covers, I’ve seen universal sets advertised & got a feeling I’ve seen them in Lidl’s sometimes

EDIT beaten to it by Wildefalcon

7. tom2207 Member

Ah , it was you with the dogs ,, well then just google plant seats ,, they put them on hiabs on block lorrys etc they live in the wet , and the sun , but last time I wanted one I discovered they are not cheap . But they do some really trendy ones too.

stuvy likes this.
  8. sako243

sako243 Member

Why? - I have absolutely no desire to change my seats.

As I said in the first post they're easy to clean down - a damp cloth (ok a few) has them from plastered in mud to spotless in 10 minutes. Even considering these were from a 200,000 mile vehicle before they came into mine and I've put another 80k on them since they've been fitted. They're also a damn sight more comfortable than a plant seat since they came from a Range Rover and it's not a soft-top so not exposed to the elements.

9. tom2207 Member

No but the op might , are your range rover seats waterproof ?

10. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

leather or a man made material. Slip on seat covers don’t last. We use country covers in our work trucks, quite expensive. They don’t last a year before the waterproofing gives up. Did vitaras come with leather seats? Might be worth phoning a breaker or two

11. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Im not sure if you will find a completely waterproof seat that is comfortable. Weather resistant is probably more realistic. I would say, anything but cloth!

pleather or leather, as mentioned above. can the rest of the Jeep's interior handle the water?

JP

12. sako243

sako243 Member

Do you posts before quoting them? I stated that they're fully electric so probably not the best if exposed to the elements.

I was not suggesting he fitted RR seats, simply I had some that were leather (the suggestion) and are far easier to keep clean from mud (one of his questions) than the previous cloth ones. The leather to a certain extent is waterproof but also benefits from a bit of moisture so it doesn't crack up.

@Migmac the only seat covers I've had that have stood up to any form of abuse were the genuine LR ones for the L322. Tried all sorts of universal ones but the seats were too big for most and they didn't last. Luckily a genuine set came up second hand and I grabbed them. Wasn't going to pay the £800 or whatever LR were asking for them to find out they were crap. Think I paid £50 or £100 for them but they fitted extremely well (almost too well because they were a sod to get on). Could chuck them in the washing machine on a cold cycle and came out clean again if the dirt got properly ingrained.

Included them when I sold the vehicle.

13. Migmac

Migmac Forum Supporter

When our work trucks arrived they had, I think they were Ford, waterproof seat covers on. The problem with them was they had cut outs for the airbags. The seats still got wet! The next ones we got covered everything but wore quickly, I think leather like you have is the answer

Parm likes this.
  14. tom2207 Member

Sorry , I dont understand the post above ,,

Do I what ???
    Read them ,, Like you maybe... Or maybe not.

15. Arc Tourist

Arc Tourist Forum Supporter

Hi Philip,
    On my old Willys Jeep I had new seat covers made up with vinyl covered canvas like the originals, but before having them fitted, used "seam sealer for tents" along all the stitching on the inside of the covers. Here in the UK I have a VW van with high back seats. To protect them from dirt and wet clothes I found that Lidl had waterproof covers that work just fine when needed. I'm confident they would also be available at some auto parts shops or online. What I liked about the Lidl version is they cover the seats entirely, both front and back. Whatever your choice of covers, I would suggest you get a tube of "tent seam sealant" and apply it on the "inside" of the seams rather than the outside, because it can be messy. PICT0002 (Medium).JPG PICT0013.JPG PICT0015.JPG

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    rcx132 and Gragson like this.
Advertisements