Any experience with Ferobide?

1. Jetemp New Member

i have some Ferobide tiles to weld and onto some soil engaging agricultural machine parts for a friend.
    Has any body ant experience welding Ferobide.
    The advice is not to exceed 130 amps due to heat input. I assume Pukse mig might be useful in this situation and help to keep heat input as low as possible

James

2. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Heat input isn’t just about amperage.

Current x Voltage x 60
    ———————————- = Heat Input
    Travel Speed x 1000

3. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

4. Richard.

Richard. Member

Being pedantic (:whistle:) this is actually a calc for arc energy.

Actual heat input is arc energy x process correction factor. So what you have up there x 0.6 tig 0.8 MMA/mig or 1 SAW.

Edit only winding you up mate.
    When I explain heat input from an effect POV I leave half the calc out anyway and use AxV/T. The rest of it is irrelevant unless you need to know the heat input figures.
    From a what changes what POV axvxt explains it all

5. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Sorry mate lost you a bit there. I think “heat input” is a bit of a misnomer as the below article from TWI explains.

https://www.twi-global.com/technica...difference-between-heat-input-and-arc-energy/

BS/EN Standards:
    Arc Energy = Volts x Amps x 60 divided by travel speed x 1000 = kJ/mm

Heat Input = Arc Energy x K Factor (PCF) = kJ/mm

AWS/ASME Standards:
    Heat Input = Volts x Amps x 60 divided by travel speed = J/in

Richard. likes this.
  6. Richard.

Richard. Member

Yeah I understand that mate I’ve worked it to both standards lots of times. I had to as the drawings we used were often in either standard and as you know very different from each other from certain symbol layout meanings.
    I prefer to where possible to use the bs/en standard for Hi as using the pcf makes more sense imo. Aws can be calculated in j/inch or kJ/inch.

7. Jetemp New Member

You’ve both lost me with the calculations / formulas! Although I think I get the gist of what your saying! I.e. that a slower potential travel speed with pulse could increase heat input!

Although the link to the Ferobide is pretty helpful

Thanks james

Richard. likes this.
  8. dannyp Member

Fitted similar things before

Your not actually looking for that strong of a weld. Skinny quick welds with less power than you normally would.

Get those carbide wear plates to hot they ether wear to well or crack, weld them to hot the weld cracks

Brad93 likes this.
Advertisements