Another project for the truck.

1. 4String. Member

Chaps/Chapesses.

Just acquired a reasonably clean length of 80x40 box for the latest project, as per the photo:

980CC7EA-2DE3-41C7-B344-72E1BC050663.jpeg

Apologies for the photo being a bit dire, there’s no good way to take it.

Basically, the acquired box that’s across the trailer and pushed up to the side pins will form a moveable bolster that I can load cabins and containers up against to stop them moving forward in the unlikely event of me hitting the brakes. Anything overwidth has to be loaded back from the headboard or it becomes very embarrassing when you make a tight turn and the corner hits the side of the cab... (And it’s something that the DVSA chaps like to see, as forward movement of loads is a big no-no in their eyes.) I need this because I always pull different trailers, not all of which are fitted with container twistlocks, so it will be a simple matter of putting it behind the side pins, which are 80x80x5 box, then loading cabins tight up to it from the off.

The plan is to cut the box to just shy of 8’ 4”, the trailer width, then weld a piece of 80x80 angle under each end which will project down either side below the trailer bed and act as sideways stops, and while I’m at it I shall weld a 12” length of 1x1-ish box longitudinally on top at each end to fit slide out marker boards for wide stuff. When it’s done it will spend the rest of its life either in use or strapped to the tractor unit, so the question is what is the best method of protection for it?

It will get banged and clanged, so painting it will be a Forth Bridge job, as was, or would I be best off having it galvanised then giving it coat of paint on top to keep it nice? I appreciate the cost of galv, but I’m currently making 4 slide out marker boards, the frame of which are box section, a bit like this:

769ADBC2-152A-484C-B4CB-C92A9DDEAE9F.jpeg

(Image copied from Google)...so I can get them all done at the same time to make it more cost effective. The other question is what effect will galvanising have on hollow box? If it will come back as bent as a 9/- note, it looks like painting will be the way to go.

Thoughts are appreciated, as ever. And don’t ask me how I attached the last shot, I have no idea :D, but it shows it from another angle, the tape measure being where the 1x1 box for the markers would be welded.

• 4047CAE3-6329-43DF-B7E6-ED50AE943D4D.jpeg
    slim_boy_fat and Turbo like this.
  2. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

Galv is the way forward.

had a couple of bits powder coated for use on trailers and I find it really doesn’t like being knocked or banged too much, and when you’re slinging it across the trailer a little exuberantly for it to hit the concrete it chips a little more off.

Side note, watched an Irish firm ship a sow shed across on one of their trailers, fully extended with a 2.5mtr additional extension bolted to the rear. First bend they took crumpled the unit and the shed as they’d loaded it too far forward, oh how the air turned all shades of blue.

slim_boy_fat, 4String., Turbo and 2 others like this.
  3. arther dailey Member

agree ,galv would be best long term, is the wall thickness strong enough for your use ?

4String. likes this.
  4. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

Plenty strong enough, we use similar for 12t steel coils.

D10E1476-7192-4158-9FBE-841321D195D0.jpeg

Image nabbed from Google as I haven’t any on this phone.

5. 4String. Member

It’s not thick walled, but it will only ever have a static load on it.

Anytime it’s used, the load will be butted up to it as gently and sensually as my Hiab operating skills will allow, and most days it really is that good :cool::D, so it will never have a dynamic load imposed on it. Depending how it looks, I might stitch weld a length of angle or flat bar, (depends what I can acquire :whistle:), to the front face to give it a bit more strength. Ideally I’d have preferred slightly thicker wall, but as it was scrounged free gratis from a scrapyard, it will have to suffice.

slim_boy_fat and arther dailey like this.
  6. 4String. Member

I should think so, young man!

Climbing on your trailer, what are you thinking about, have you no idea the world will end if you’re caught perpetrating such a heinous act :rolleyes:.

*says the driver who DID fall off his lorry 2 years ago :doh:. I hit the floor hard on my right side and damaged my arm which I can no longer straighten out fully. Not far off, but not fully. And it hurt so much that I crawled up in the cab and wept like a baby... It was only afterwards that the “what if...” occurred to me, and if I’d jarred my neck it could have been all over. Very sobering accident that made me rethink my practices, so be careful, from one who knows.*

7. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

I loaded one of the yard wagons up in the shipyard just before lunch one reasonably windy day. Went and parked the forklift up, got my wallet out of my locker etc and came back out to see a crowd around the driver who was lying about 20 foot from the wagon on the ground. Turned out he’d got up on the bed to sheet up, went to unfurl a tarp and the wind took it like a sail, tagging him off the bed straight onto the old noggin. Was in quite a bad way for a few days by all accounts

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements