Another broken Snap on/Cebora/BOC MIG 130 Wire feed

1. mattbearman

mattbearman Member

As seems to be pretty common with these welders, the wire feed tensioner on my Snap On MIG 130 has broken, meaning it can't keep tension on the drive wheel and the wire keeps slipping.

Does anyone have a spare or know where I can get one? It seems neither WECS or Weldequip have them in stock. I've just been on the phone to my local BOC shop, and he checked the stock of all BOC shops in the country to no avail.

I'm also sure I saw something about someone successfully fitting a wire feed assembly from a Clarke welder, but I can't find it now.

Cheers,
    Matt

2. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

I suspect You may need to find and old "for spares or repairs" machine and caniblise it. I suspect that the parts are gettting thin on the ground now. there are units with a motor itegral to the feed, but thay are not the cheapest things and may be pushing the welder beyond economic repair.

Are you able to fashion something up to hold the arm down?

3. mattbearman

mattbearman Member

It was already bodge fixed when I bought the welder, I've managed now to do a slightly better bodge fix with a large helping of epoxy, and it's feeding wire a lot better, but still not 100% consistent.

I suspect the previous bodge fix put too much strain on the motor/gearbox (for some reason they bypassed the tensioner spring), so I think I'm gonna go down the Euro Torch conversion route at some point soon.

Edit: I was under the impression the Euro Torch conversion included wire feed mechanism, but just been reading your post and it seems I'm wrong. Think I'm gonna pull the motor and gearbox, and see if it can be fixed.

4. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

5. mattbearman

mattbearman Member

Funnily enough I was just looking at that, wasn't sure the motor would clear the top of the case though, as the Cebora/Snap On has the wire feed & torch high in the case. Although I suppose there's no reason the Euro torch couldn't be mounted lower...

I also feel there comes a point where just buying a new welder would be more cost effective. How many parts can I change and still call it the same welder? :p

I'm sure I read somewhere it's a 24v motor, but I'll check tonight when I get the motor out.

6. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

you can place that feeder anywhere on the panel. you are not stuck to the original hole, which will be too small anyway.

I'd save up and get an inverter mig. you'd be looking at around the £400 mark. I had some spare cash and upgraded to the R-Tech 250i and its so much better and you can do stick welding too.

Or you could keep on with trigger's broom

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. mattbearman

mattbearman Member

Didn't get a chance to checkout the motor/gearbox situation yet, but assuming that is the issue, I'll try just replacing that and keeping the fixed torch. I've spent less than £100 on this welder so far, don't want to put too much money into it. I think you're right, saving up for a new welder is the better long term plan :)

8. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

I still have my rather old battered and looking a bit sorry for itself BOC 130.

I does work, but it can be a bit tempremental at times. I supose I could sell it spares or repairs, or as is or for a boat anchor.

9. sanmarcopizza Member

IMG_0590.JPG I fitted one of these:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282194899211

Cheap as chips and seems to be doing the job. Replaces the motor and tension/feed assembly. You need to fabricate a tray to mount it in so that the wire can line up with the outgoing torch line.

hunter27, riber3 and coda95 like this.
  10. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

Triggers Broom Rides again!!!

11. rikrobson

rikrobson Member

Looks a cheap fix at £15. Lets hope it stays the distance.

12. mattbearman

mattbearman Member

Funnily enough I've just ordered myself one of those, glad to hear someone else has already successfully installed one.

I'm thinking of getting an adapter tray 3D printed, so that others can then easily make one from the plans. Plus, I've always wanted to try having something 3D printed :)

sanmarcopizza likes this.
  13. sanmarcopizza Member

You'll have to keep us posted on that. Best of luck!

14. coda95 New Member

Hi, My feed assembly is in bits too.
    I have a cebora pocket 130, will this fit my cebora?
    thanks, Keith.

15. texas_deano New Member

coda95, I also have a cebora pocket 130 and need a feed assembly for mine. I was going to get one off ebay and make it fit, but I am not sure what voltage the motor is. Any ideas?

16. micky t New Member

hi all,i have also got the cebora pocket 130,and i have got the same problem with the wire feed,have seen the ebay link for the cheap wire feeder,any one that has fitted one of these,could you tell me if this will work ok ,please

17. 130 Member

UK North West
    Ever get anywhere with this? (Bought a 3D printer for £132 last year, my welder is wearing some parts made on it)

18. Nick Truman New Member

Hi There, I'm new here i just wanted to thank you for your link to the wire feed on ebay. Fitted a treat and for the first time in years my welder works as it should.
    The only other issue i had with it was the plastic fitting that attaches the wire speed circuit board to the housing had become brittle and broken. That is now made of aluminium and will last for ever.
    I mounted the 24v feed motor into a little 15mm deep tray and used m6 screws to hold it in place.

Cheers Guys!

• IMG_0223 welder.jpg
Advertisements