Amazing new brush cutter strimmer

1. fizzy Member

uk
    Fed up of keeping my old stihl running I decided to buy a new strimmer as grass now chest high along with jap knotweed and thistle! A right jungle.
    I took a gamble and bought something cheap. A Parker brand for £88.
    Easy assembly. Some plastics a bit cheap and nasty.
    Tried it this morning. 52cc engine. Huge fuel tank which it needs. But some serious power. How long will it last? Who knows but very impressed for £88:clapping:

2. fizzy Member

uk
  3. cocker

cocker Member

will still need looking after/cleaning .
    When I got fed up with the two smoke strimmer and hedge trimmer i got honda four stroke ones .
    Chuck em in the corner after use and never fail to start next year .

stuvy, frank horton and fizzy like this.
  4. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

to be honest a lot of the cheap petrol stuff these days seam to be fine the only problems with them is the price of the parts and availibly of the bits

if you have the sthil huskavana the parts are cheap and on the shelf or delivered in a few days

a part for a soverin hedge trimmer that ive still got cost £13 posted took days to get here for a fuel cap for a sthil £7 off the shelf

5. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

6. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

I've had one for three years - use it to do the knee-high grass on the hill in the back garden (sounds way more impressive than it actually is, small but impossible with a lawnmower).
    It probably gets four hours of straight use every two weeks in the summer and has been flawless, bar a reluctance to start when it's warm (fine when cold or hot).

Think I paid £120 for it so £88 is a bargain. I think the "main" brand is Mitox, albeit it gets re-badged across ebay and amazon.

Last year I bought what is effectively the same engine in a leaf blower/sucker/shredder and it seems a decent piece of kit too.

Edit: Turns out I paid £65 so you were done :D only joking - still a decent piece of kit at that price
    upload_2019-6-13_16-4-57.png

slim_boy_fat and fizzy like this.
  7. Keith 66 Member

Essex UK
    Just a heads up for you strimmer users, there are some right dodgy head attachments around with chain flail buisness end. HSE have banned them following a bloke getting killed up north, a team clearing a bank, a link came of the chain on the strimmer head of one of the operators, hit his mate in the back of the neck & killed him instantly.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. fizzy Member

uk
    OMG incredible you should mention that. I was actually thinking of buying one. Definitely looks dodgy as hell but they are still on sale I think.

9. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

I am in the market for a brushcutter - that Parker brand one looks good. The £100 toolstation one is only 31cc and has mixed reviews ...

10. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Ah - should have mentioned that I don't get on with strimmer heads at all. Probably user error but I'm forever dismantling the damn things and re-threading them.
    The cutter that Fizzy and I bought comes with a three-bladed bush cutter and I fitted that on the first day and have never looked back.

(can't imaging having a chain flail fitted - shudder)

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 6:31 PM
    Dieselkid 63 and gaz1 like this.
  11. Migmac

Migmac Member

Nah nah nah, you’ve all got it wrong This is what you want. It has a drinks holder too!

64D22214-6103-436E-B729-BC6D3B2344A0.jpeg

3153AA7C-51E3-4673-93A8-9088451464D2.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 5:50 PM
  12. 8ob

8ob Member

@fizzy Nothing wrong with some of this cheap gear providing whoever is selling it keeps all the spares, well worth asking the seller the question unless your prepared to throw it away when it breaks. Recently bought some gear from Rock machinery and they keep all the spares on the shelf ready for next day delivery.

Bob

13. Migmac

Migmac Member

I have seen these brush cutter heads on FB, look very nasty

14. Keith 66 Member

Essex UK
  15. andymfell Member

I raised a concern with the HSE over the sale of chain flail attachments online
    below is the response

You recently contacted the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) regarding the supply of trimmer attachments on Ebay.

HSE is tasked by Government to safeguard the health, safety and welfare of those in employment and those who may be affected by a work activity. The legislation we enforce is the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and the regulations associated with that Act.

I have discussed your concerns with HSE’s product safety team and they have confirmed that your concern does not fall within HSE’s enforcement remit, so we are unable to take forward the matters you raise.

For products being marketed to domestic consumers, you should direct your concerns to Trading Standards /quote

so the mower trade can't buy and sell them as they are banned but "joe public" can import them

16. Agrismith Member

Are you intending to strim the jap knotweed off as it's really not a good idea it will just through the material making it spread further and any bits left on you clothes can drop off and further spread it especially a problem if you move it closer to a building

17. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

@fizzy A word of warning if you use the brush cutting bit on giant hogweed. I did that and got some of the sap on the back of one hand. Ended up having to go the the GP after it swelled up and turned very painful :(

Google tells us..... " The danger of giant hogweed stems from its sap, which is present on all parts of the plant. Toxic chemicals in it called furanocoumarins cause severe burns when exposed to UV light from the sun. Even when the painful blisters subside, permanent scarring can remain. "

Take care out there. :thumbup:

8ob likes this.
  18. fizzy Member

uk
    Thanks for that - pretty safe here though - what is UV light? :clapping:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  19. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

:laughing: Not seeing much up here at the moment :(

fizzy likes this.
  20. fizzy Member

uk
    I have plenty of experience of knotweed. I have eradicated it in other places I have lived.
    As this is a lawn constant mowing should keep it down.
    And I live in the middle of nowhere so nobody else to infect!

Advertisements