Aluminium MIG welding on a GYS Multi Pearl 200.2

1. DAPPH

DAPPH Member

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    GYS MultiPearl 200.2/MultiPearl 200.4XL Multi-Process Synergic Inverter

I've had my Multi pearl for a couple of years but have not tried to MIG weld aluminium with it .
    I've got the argon , correct nozzles , alu MIG wire & alu feed rollers & a dedicated torch for it plus a couple of spare liners .

Whilst the manual gives a few details of Alu welding I'd like a few better pointers as I'm not sure whether it is a pulsed DC welder nor do I have any experience of MIG alu welding .

Can any one give me a few tips 7 wrinkles ..I'm hoping to make 10 off 900 high fixed height 620 mm wide trestles in 4 or 5 mm walled tube alu tube to replace those supporting our bonsai benches that were factory made in China made of Chinese electro plated galv steel .

2. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Is this a statement or have you tried and failed or wish to try or?

3. Wildefalcon Member

Or can it tig Ali?

4. DAPPH

DAPPH Member

I was editing the post when you posted Hood . It's a request of tips & wrinkles .. I hope to MIG alu with it .

5. DAPPH

DAPPH Member

No it cannot TIG alu or should I say it's not indicated in the user manual .

Details off the manual :-

A Multi-Process Inverter system from GYS capable of MIG, TIG & MMA, with Synergic control for perfect welds - every time.

Suitable for running up to 5mm electrodes in MMA mode, with fully adjustable Hot Start & Arc Force; DC Lift TIG (with optional torch) with adjustable Downslope & Post Gas; Synergic MIG for Mild Steel, Stainless Steel, Aluminium & MIG Brazing - CuSi3, CuSi8, CuAl.

In Synergic MIG mode you simply select material: Mild Steel, Stainless Steel, Aluminium or MIG Brazing, wire diameter in use: 0.6mm, 0.8mm or 1.0mm, and material thickness. The Synergic processor then sets ideal weld parameters for perfect results on any given setting. You can manually 'trim' the settings or override Synergic mode completely and enter your own Voltage/Wire Speed settings (13V-25V, 0-12 m/min).

6. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Are there synergic lines for Alu?

If there are then set up should be easy enough, if not then you will have to manually adjust voltage and wire feed.

As for hardware, teflon or preferably Carbon Teflon liner and correct size U rollers with as short a torch as you can get away with using, certainly best to stick under 4m and 3m preferable.

7. DAPPH

DAPPH Member

Hood I can comply with all in post #6
    I've edit added the spec to my #5 post

8. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

What are you intending to weld?
    5356 wire will feed better as it is stiffer and suits a lot of common Alu grades.
    Try to use the biggest dia wire you can as it will help avoid issues.
    Pure Argon is required.
    Push unless there is absolutely no option and even then try and find a way :D

Oh also contact tip, get one for Aluminium, it will have an A after the size, for example 1.0A

9. DAPPH

DAPPH Member

Thanks , all you say makes sense , I'll need to check the contact tip details .

10. F.J.

F.J. Member

You’ll also need acetone and a stainless bristled brush (that has only been used on ally). Wipe the piece being welded down with the acetone and on one direction only, run the stainless bristled brush across the weld area to remove the layer of oxide that forms. I also flash a plumbers blow torch or oxy/acet torch over the area to remove any damp and to assist with the cold start

11. DAPPH

DAPPH Member

FJ . Thanks I knew about the cleaning and dedicated stainless bristled brush but didn't know about the pre heat dry out .
    In the next few days I hope to purchase a few kg of 3 to 6 mm plate off cuts to have a play on . Then if it goes well order all the tubing cut to lengths and use the pillar drill & hole saw to sculpt the ends for a good fit . It's quite an undertaking for I guess I'll be liable to wreck nearly £600 of alu tube if I don't get things right . It's for a Crimbo pressy for my lass as she is well into Bonsai , the staging it sits on is an alu & resin board top, the stands it came with are rusting away … don't want to see thousands of ££££'s of bonsai dropped on the floor when they collapse , it would break both our hearts .

12. Glen Morgan New Member

I am seriously thinking of buying a GYS MultiPearl 200.2 or 200.4 XL. I would be mostly using MIG for car bodywork and I would like to have go at TIG welding steel and stainless. Which model do you have and how have you found it for MIG and TIG?

Advertisements