Alternator question

1. Am333rcr Member

Scotland
    Hi

I have a wee 3.5 v8 from a rover sd1. Its in my Land rover so it only has basic wiring ie standard. It has a standard 32 amp or around that output. I take it if I was to put a 65 amp it wont cause me any problems?

I am quite unsure about this sort of thing.

I would maybe like to add a few more lights.

Cheers for replys

2. Parm

Parm Metal Tinkerer

Don’t see that as a problem. A lot of the serious car hi fi people fit massive alternators

Hopefuldave likes this.
  3. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

If you have a flat battery and charge it with the alternator, to start with the battery will try to take as much current as the alternator can give. This may overload the wire to the battery. IIRC correctly on that set up the alternator wire connects to the battery at the starter motor, so it might be as well to fit a thicker piece of wire there.

4. Kayos

Kayos Member

I used to swap 80a for 120a on Vauxhall's upgrade the battery cables to 50mm and stick a system in, never issues with too much current

Parm likes this.
  5. stuvy

stuvy Member

Iv swapped almost all of my Land Rover alternators for 100amp items and never had an issue just upgrade the battery wire

6. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    You will be fine, just as above, make sure the charging cable is up to the output.

7. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    never a bad idea to fit fatter cables /earths anyway

8. Am333rcr Member

Scotland
    Thanks everyone. I have beefed the cables up and I have had to move the battery.

Advertisements