Allo Allo, (for those in France).

1. barking mat

barking mat Member

So for the migwelding.co.uk French followers I thought it might be interesting to have a post for how were getting on and what problems we might be encountering.

So calling the following, and apologies to anyone I've missed:

@KemppiFrog and
    @Mick Annick ,
    @MCKDAVID and er, brains gone blank...

How you folks getting on / coping?

Not just the Corona virus issue, but also that issue related to the European union?

1) I'm having issues trying to get a French driving license, even though I submitted all my paperwork in February last year.

2) French carte de sejour, naturalisation?

Be interested to hear how you guys are getting on and your thoughts...

As for this shutdown, I'm quite enjoying it, pays secure for a few months till the company folds.

And you?

duncans, eLuSiVeMiTe and Parm like this.
  2. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

Mat

We have a carte de séjour for five years, though post Puppy dog we’re advised it has to be exchanged for a non EU one, the firm we use for help with this are advising we sit tight for now until the dust settles.

Our driving licence applications were submitted last March (we’ve been here for just on a year) our files were returned a couple of weeks ago saying we didn’t need to change them until they expire (despite me having two speeding fines since we arrived - never had any in 45 years of driving on the UK!).

Little sign of panic buying here so far though a neighbour stopped by today to say the nearest Maximarche was empty; I went to B1 on Saturday and was able to get everything we needed. We have enough for a couple of weeks so not planning to venture out at the moment.

My biggest frustration is my French is very basic, but can’t go to lessons at the mo, and my steel supplier won’t answer emails and I’m waiting on a delivery which is now two weeks late!

Being retired the lockdown hasn’t really affected us, other than missing the odd lunch out and not being able to go the steel yard / quincaillerie!

How are things in Brittany? I have a former colleague over there who’s a builder though I’ve not heard from him for a while.

Parm likes this.
  3. barking mat

barking mat Member

Things are fine here, thanks for replying, I've been in France for nigh on 20 years now, fluent, and always been employed in the books. My wife's Welsh not french, and my son was born here.

I'm not particuarly worried, it's just the goddam paperwork. I submitted my driving licence paperwork in Feb last year, a year to the day later all returned, saying wait.

Various options, carte de sejour, naturalization etc. With this virus thing everything can wait, just interested to see what others are doing...

4. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Mick. Have you considered distance french lessons online. Perfect opportunity while locked down

5. barking mat

barking mat Member

Just wait till this sh1tfest has cleared, then go sit in the local bar for a couple of hours per day, no better way.

Parm, octo0072000, skotl and 3 others like this.
  6. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

me,
    just QUIT, soooooo happy to leave...took 7 years to sell up and cost me over £200,000......
    but thats not fair really......
    away from the Charente people were nice......we just didn't know before hand.....
    I lived in an area where the Mayor hated the English and spoke out load about it.......
    most businesses treated u like a cash cow......
    we did everything legal and worked a lot for charities.....

So glad to be away from that COMMUNIST style shXt hole......

moved a 1000 K's south, beter food n nicer people......Crete the place to be........hahaha......

7. KemppiFrog Member

Down here, between Saintes and Rochefort, we live in a tiny hamlet outside the village with only eight people. Very quiet and looks to stay that way for a while, so getting on with stuff around the house, no shortage of things to do, but paint, materials a problem. Except, Brico Depot will do 'Drive', from an e-mail yesterday. Not sure how that ties in with 'essential' journeys, so expect aimed at pros. Work has fallen off a cliff, though I had several projects, those on hold.
    Mrs KF is a US citizen, so has had a carte de sejour since we have been here ('05) New ones are being processed from July, so told to wait until then and ones issued before that time will have to be renewed (for UK citzs)
    Local super mkts open and mostly stocked. Limited nos allowed in and now, only one person in a car or going to shop. Notices to respect distance from others. One can exercise, but only under a Km from home. Have to fill in the form for any car trip. Hear tell 100K bods been fined for breaking the rules.
    Mrs is still using her US driving license, but apparently Maryland has been added to the list of states that one can swop with, so no test needed.
    I had some problems with my UK licence, having been out of there since '75 and they were very unhelpful. My Poruguese one had expired, so no help and I was facing the full lessons and test for a French one, but 'managed' to sort it finally, so will get a French one now. Managed to avoid being fined, so not a big issue ;o) But did get stopped a lot in the early days for breath tests, usually after lunch..
    Incidently, if one has been here for 5yrs, one has a right of residence, so I expect the CdJ to be relatively easy.
    Of course, all this info pre dates the current situation.
    We have a regular renter from US for 6 months in the barn, expected end of April, he was unconcerned about the plague a couple of weeks ago, but now, doubt he can come. Will miss the income... But going to be tough for people who rely on the Gîte business. We shall see.

Exchanged notes with a friend who lives in the Ger, knew him from Iberia days. He (luckily) sold his big restoration project and is borrowing a gîte while he tidies up a little old town house. He check with the gendarmes and they OK his commute, as it was his job and no others involved, but now stuck due to lack of materials, so may have to camp there when he has to leave the gite ( though I wonder if it has clients now?)

Anyway, good to hear from you all
    KF

Edit.
    Hey Frank, so you finally sorted things! Good luck in your new venture and let us know how things work out in Crete

Parm, barking mat and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  8. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

Yep, using those too - there’s a French woman on YouTube called Alexa that makes it all really clear.

9. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Doesn't she work for Amazon ? :D I got an A level French about 50 years ago I'll send you that.

10. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

I’ve been learning (trying) Spanish with Dualingo, it’s quite good & free on line. They do French as well. My wife is pretty good in French, so I rely on her when travelling, my French is appalling.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  11. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

I've been using Duolingo for French for the last 6 months. My French has definitely come on by leaps and bounds. I'll try to find Alexa, too.

Parm, barking mat and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  12. mangocrazy

mangocrazy Italian V-twin nutjob

Is there any word on when travel restrictions to France might be relaxed? We have a fix-upper in the Herault that I'd like to get back to. Was planning to head down in early April but all sailings have been cancelled. I'm guessing it will stay that way for a couple of months at least.

13. barking mat

barking mat Member

God knows, not me.

14. KemppiFrog Member

Last I heard was 6 weeks, but don't hold your breath..

But Pres Trump says it will be over by Easter and he must know:whistle:

julianthegypsy and barking mat like this.
  15. Yes but he's a looney. :doh:

16. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

It probably will be for him, he's one of the over 70s at risk. Not like us 67s. :(

barking mat and KemppiFrog like this.
  17. KemppiFrog Member

Young wippersnapper:D I am 72, so def at risk..

18. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    I lived in the vienne. We came back ten years ago.
    When you hear people citing racism for Puppy dog it makes me laugh when living in France taught me about proper ingrained racism.
    Were a lot of good people I met there though the English all seemed to be proper ash fats .

Parm, Seadog and barking mat like this.
  19. barking mat

barking mat Member

As a rule of thumb I avoid the English here, funny bunch, generally rich and retired, of which I'm nether.

20. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    And pompous which the rural french despise .
    The driving license used to drive me mad. Gendarmes would say get french dl or else . Local government offices would say no and no need your license is euro compliant

Advertisements