Alko 'rubber' suspension axle

1. metalspanner

metalspanner Member

Haslemere UK
    A quick question, on Alko axles of the rubber type (indespension type) beam axles, does the bar go all the way along the axle, along with the rubber?
    After carefull examination I cannot find anywhere where they have been welded in the centre of the beam, so can only assume they are made by shoving the inner bar and rubber inside the outer tube then welding the drop arm and stub axle on the end to complete the assembly.

Just wondering if anyone has attacked one with any form of metal cutting gear before, as I dont want to make a critical and costly, mistake:o.

Any help would be gratefully recieved wont be anywhere near them tomorrow, but I could get photos for Friday if this will help.

Thanks

2. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

3. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    there was a post on here a while back (2years ish) where someone had started to refurbish some suspension units. if memory serves they got it all apart and couldn't get it back together again

4. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
  5. metalspanner

metalspanner Member

Haslemere UK
    Hi thanks for the replies, today did not work out as expected (overslept when I should have been on the boat fishing), so did get to have a closer inspection.:laughing:

And firstly grabbed a suitable bit of rod and rammed that up the end of the orifice that is the inner tube and found this only went in about 350mm, this was the first bit of good news on the whole project.
    Next with the main question being is the inner tube full length and this being the main crux of the matter as it would if chopped in half scupper the whole axle.
    I decided to do a bit of internal probing:o on the outer tube, in the centre and with the aid of a 10mm drill bit (did a 5mm) first, made a hole in it and have found the axle tube to be hollow SECOND bit of good news:clapping:.

Now the bit about how to mount the soon to be shortened axles to the origonal trailer, the origonal axles were on leaf springs and as old as the hills so a replacement part is about as likely as finding hens teeth.
    I did this brilliant drawing in 2 seconds on a rizla worked out the cutting list and total metal required, went to see a very obliging local fabrication and welding friend who I obtain steel oddments from for a very reasonable fee.
    He was not there at the time, so decided to have a fag break and looking at his stock rack, (sad I know) had the third bit of good news/idea/brainwave even moment of genius:whistle:.

There staring me in the face is some 150x75 box section so all the plans to make up a carrier rail out of 50x50 with droppers and bracing went south, and now we have four bits of this being bolted to the origonal chassis and the axles, giving not only the required clearance but also without the danger of a bad weld messing the job up.:whistle:

photos to come tomorrow.

6. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

Alko

Alko axle
    remember the axle also acts like a torsion bar (vw suspension) so if cutting it in half you will lose this
    you will need to weld the cut ends of the inner and outer tubes together to have any chance of it working as a axle with any rebound
    depends on what the axle was plated at and what you are going to put in the trailer
    last one i made i used a rear axle from a audi with leaf springs axle was like a double tube i even bent that with 2 ton of sand and gravel in it it was a bit bow legged after that oops :whistle:

7. metalspanner

metalspanner Member

Haslemere UK

The torsion bar action is what I was worried about in the first place:o:o but by drilling the inspection hole today I have ascertained, that the inner bar that the 'drop arm' fixes on to, is NOT the full length of the outer tube:clapping:
    Which means I can safely cut and :welder:the outer tube to the correct length, what I still cant figure is how the suspension unit is held together to stop it popping out of the outer tube??
    But I will find this out when I cut the first axle in the centre well away from the rubber.
    This is a learning curve and hopefully one that trial wont lead to error, the trailer is a oldish livestock trailer of the convertible type (removable box) to leave a flat bed, we are going to be using it to move sheep and cows around.
    The 'new' axles have been sourced from a twin Bahill horse trailer which was obtained for the axles and hardwood floor as this was the cheapest option to obtain all the materials required to refurbish the stock trailer, whilst also giving the required axle capacity and a much needed braking and hitch update.
    I have tried to obtain a straight axle on the bay of evil but others keep pipping me at the post and mostly they have been miles away so when a bin came up 15 minutes away I just went for it and the legacy is a fair bit of head scratching.
    But have angle grinder, welder and time so anything is possible, the other option is a frankenstien almalgamation of spring over rubber indespension, which to my knolwedge has never been done:o as it would no doubt jump all over the place, and I dont want to go there.

8. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

axles

why are you cutting the axles are they now too short to fit to new/refurbed trailer
    i used to know a co now gone that made indespension units a 100 ton press was used to put them together no glue just pressed in but they always had a retaining coller to stop the axle from coming out of the main axle tube

9. metalspanner

metalspanner Member

Haslemere UK
    I am having to cut and shut the axles because they are longer! wider! (depends on if your a glass half full/empty kind of person) than the ones they are replacing.
    Anyway one got cut today and it is all good news the inner axle and rubber is miles away from where I need to weld it to get the correct spacing.
    Thanks all, pics are on way just need to remember to take my camera with me :doh:

10. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

axles

have we worked out if the rubber is just pressed in or bonded in this axle must be some failsafe to stop the inner axle coming out like a coller maybe

11. metalspanner

metalspanner Member

Haslemere UK

You would have thought so, but as yet I have found no such 'failsafe' :o:o:o there was a patch of scabby rust that looked as thought it may have been plug welded, but alas it was just a scabby bit of rust.

I recon that the tightness of the rubber and length of the inner stub axle tube join forces to somehow retain each other in place.

If it was not so critical I would cut the thing up just to find out for future reference and seeing as you dont hear of AL-KO axles falling apart that often, I am going to go along with the 'suck it and see' method.

When I am driving along and a wheel and sub axle overtake me, I am going to do, what I have always told student tractor drivers if anything falls off and dont hit anything, keep going as you will have all sorts of stupid questions to answer and forms to fill in from now till eternity.

The project and saga rumble on, had too much grass to cut these past two days, so it has taken a back seat for now.

12. MikeMaughan New Member

Lancashire, UK
    Did you ever take those piccies?

Regards, Mike

13. metalspanner

metalspanner Member

Haslemere UK

Sorry I have not been around for a while busy and stressed, but whats new.

I did do the pics but they are not required as the rubber inserts only went in about 300mm and I did manage to cut and shut the axles to length with success.
    After evicting the mice and their bedding, spiders and the half hundred weight of acorns and hazlenuts.
    The trailer has been rebuilt and is going strong there were some engineering issues but on the whole it was a relatively straight forward rebuild.

14. stuvy

stuvy Member

what do you wanna know about them? I got a press and all the bits to make them;)

15. Tom_B New Member

Cambridge
    Apologies for ‘bumping’ such an old thread up however I am trying to communicate with anyone who has dismantled and successfully reassembled and AL-KO axle containing the ‘rubber’ system.

Tom

16. stuvy

stuvy Member

Iv just replied to Tom_B but il post here for future reference

Unless you burn the rubbers out you cant "pull" or extract the arms out of the sleeve as there pressed in with around about 12 tonnes of pressure.

I do have the full kit to make these but too many other things always get in the way!! so it may be up for sale soon...

and metalspanner is on the money with what he mentioned about the axles solely being a press fit item.

17. Digger 58 New Member

Old thread but any interest??? I have made several suspension units, I have made up a screw press to "Load" the 30mm square section into the 50mm box alongside the 18mm &0 shore ribber cord.

18. Justme

Justme Member

Hate to pee on your party but will you be able to supply Eu certification?
    Have you tested the assembly to ensure it cant pull apart in use?
    If not thats going to reduce your market considerably.

stuvy likes this.
  19. stuvy

stuvy Member

exactly this, your in for a world of pain via insurance and the police in the event of an accident

granted you may get away with it for a while but your responsibility for a build is 7 years and a buyer will blame you, you will get fined and possibly do time for it

Justme likes this.
  20. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I'm sure I read that they stretch the rubber and freeze it. It is then inserted and when it warms up it contracts and pulls everything tight.

Justme likes this.
Advertisements