Air planishing hammer

1. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    As i am finally getting my big air compressor up and running i'd like to make an air planishing hammer, i have plenty of bits of box section lying around and the local hardware has the air hammers , has anyone made one and if so where did you get the anvils and do you have any pictures of the completed article ?

2. shed or dead

shed or dead Forum Supporter

I have one but didn't make it, took a chance on one in a rotten crate for 99 quid and it was fine inside. It was on my wants list so couldn't pass it up.

Mine came with just a flat (but curved chamfer) anvil, which was fine for some fairly domed curves if used lowered more than usual. When I wanted to planish out tighter radius after the doming mallet I swapped the anvil for a towing ball like this...

http://www.4playjeep.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=116

I've also used various large hex head bolts to achieve a rough surface finish ( sort of anti - planishing), and roofing bolts etc to get into recesses.

Even different shape hammer heads can be welded onto a stake and used.

If you have access to a lathe you can make good anvils for ally using nylon rod. If not, find someone with a lathe and ask if they will do a few various random radius if you provide the nylon rod in your chosen diameter. They don't need to be made to measure, just different, you'll soon learn the effect each gives and how to control it.

Or, there are plenty of US vendors, and I think WNealServices in the UK do them but not cheap. Search for dies rather than anvils.

norlander and ronan like this.
  3. norlander

norlander Member

Air planishing hammer-ha!-yaint fooling me-April 1st is long past-you can't planish thin air its not solid- which is strange cos my tools, keys and money disappear into it.

On a serious note though, the towball is a brilliant idea-nice one sir, I 've used a hard nylon mallet face in my vice on occasions so your other idea on the nylon gets my vote.

I haven't got one or used one( didn't know about air hammers until I saw this) when I learnt planishing we did it for decorative effect and to toughen up the workpiece rather than shape it-ie we made little dents with the hammer-not really what you are supposed to do though is it??.

Can you regulate the strike (force of blow) on them and is it correct to consider them as an alternative to an english wheel for smaller jobs?.

4. nodeward Member

newbury
    i have thinking of making one for a while just havent had time yet, have you tried homemadetools.net couple on there

5. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

I believe Wyn (one of our members) made one a while back, He also made a top class ring roller, Do a search and something should pop up.

6. wyn

wyn Member

I did make one but it got to the stage of needing anvils and never got much further with it.

It was operated via a foot pedal (on the bench).

[​IMG]

7. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
  8. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    This sort of contraption norlander, seem to be cheap in the states, is anyone bringing something similarly priced over here though ?

http://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-planishing-hammer-94847.html

9. KemppiFrog Member

Hope it comes with ear muffs, several pairs, for the neighbours...

10. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    Well the old biddy on one side has a horrible little f***y licker dog, one of these miniature poodles or whatever that doesn't stop barking in the back garden, i have complained several times to be told "oh thats what dogs do, they bark", so its her tough luck, the family the otherside are rarely in , so thats ok too. Anyway are they really that loud ?

Richiew likes this.
  11. KemppiFrog Member

More practical: Looks like around an hour or so's fab work for the frame + £30 of air hammer with your anvils/dies.
    Personally, I don't have a use. But could run one up in an afternoon if needed

Harborfreight don't have a great rep in the states, lower level of cheepneese.

12. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    Yes thats what i was thinking. I have some 50mm box and the air hammer is cheap, it was the mechanism at the bottom that holds and adjusts the anvils i was worried about, as i have never had a chance to see one for myself.

13. KemppiFrog Member

Horrible little dog needs a special toxic treat.
    Using Air hammers on riveting airframes and cutting bodywork, they are quite noisy. Probably more from the reverb of the sheet they are attacking. In general, what one is working on is OK, just the person who is listening finds it objectionable. Bit like channel hopping on the remote, drives the other half nuts.

14. KemppiFrog Member

'Nother thought, the frame for a hammer unit does not need to anything like as stiff as an english wheel, because the inertia verses the impacts is quite different to the pressure needed for wheeling.
    KF

15. ronan likes this.
  16. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    No, the link to your other post explains it pretty well. I have box section , the air chisel i can get cheaply enough so thats the bulk of it. Thanks wendelspanswick.

17. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Just bought one on eBay delivered for £87. Will see if it's any good. I was away last week and a bloke was selling a really well designed mechanical planishing hammer for 5500 euro so thought I'd see how good the cheapo one is.

ronan likes this.
  18. rosinante

rosinante Member

Hi I expect a friend with a woodlathe could make anvils from nylon, ally or even end grain hard wood for 1 off specials, have turned lots of ally on my homemade wood,lathe,
    Hth
    Chris

19. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    Nylon, ally or wood wouldn't last very well on a power hammer, I use wood and nylon hammers and dollies and they're ok for light work where you don't want to mark you metal but even then they take a beating (no pun intended)

20. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    I bought an air hammer at lidl today, it was an impulse buy. They were in the bargain corner for 8 euros. Hooked it up tonight and i couldn't get over how bloody noisy it was. It was the air exhausting that seemed to be making the racket.

Advertisements