Air Compressor < £500

1. Andzejus1981

Andzejus1981 Member

Hi all,
    Best compressor for £500? maybe I can stretch little bit more, it depends on spec/price. Best what I found is Burisch 150, good spec and price.
    Thanks

2. gaz1

gaz1 Member

have a look on here for wolf compressor i think

3. Andzejus1981

Andzejus1981 Member

Had Wolf90 before for +2yrs but it was struggle to do the soda blasting and painting big panels like bumper with Devilbiss pro lite (T110/TE10 cap), everything else like mini gun, LVLP, die grinder etc. works perfectly. I was thinking to add the additional air tank but it will take more space than 150-200l compressor.

4. gaz1

gaz1 Member

get another dual them up should give you enough air

5. Jetex

Jetex Member

The Burisch, SGS and Wolf air compressors all share an uncanny resemblance and the specifications are not realistic. They all quote having a 3HP motor but in my tests these compressors the motors are running at 1600W so even assuming they wrongly quote the 3HP as being the input power instead or output, this is still only just over 2HP (input). These compressors will probably disappoint the user if they want to run air tools for more than a few seconds.

6. gaz1

gaz1 Member

ive used 3 phase large compressors but once you get near power hungry tools they dont last long with air

7. Nadeem Akbar

Nadeem Akbar New Member

Hi mate i can help you locate a really good 3 phase compressor ove your after one an based in Lancashire

8. chris pruteanu Member

A large ABAC belt driven twin piston compressor will do what you ask... If you have a 3 phase power supply then look for a taskmaster or abac 200 litre compressor, they do cope well with spraying...

9. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    The Clarkes are very good value. Good reliable compressors.
    Some of the bigger machine marts have a returns section at the back. You can find stuff that has never been used with a good saving.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-xe15150-industrial-air-compressor-400v/

This model is just over your budget but get a vat free voucher and you will save 20%.

It will run off a 13amp plug despite what they say!

It will just about run a small blaster but is fine for paint spraying and air tools. I have the wheeled version with a 50L tank and I am very happy with it. Pretty quiet as well - avoid direct drive.

WorkshopChris and delta9 like this.
  10. RWD3M Member

I would tend to agree with you Fizzy. I have had the XE29/270 (which is essentially the same compressor but with two pumps, oh, and a slightly larger tank. So not really the same machine at all, but you know what I mean!) for 10 years or so and it's been a great machine.

fizzy likes this.
  11. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I have the clarke and it's an excellent machine....easily keeps up with a Devilbiss spray gun. Pump has descent displacement so when it does kick in it catches up very quickly....don't know which one exactly I have but it's the largest displacement that will run off a 13A plug I think.

Haven't used it for blasting....blasting kit is next on my list!

12. Jetex

Jetex Member

Fizzy, have you ever measured the running current of the compressor to see how close it is to the listed specifications? I am also in the market for a new compressor and want to buy one that will give me the most CFM I can have from a 13 or 16 Amp outlet.

I did ask MM tech support before about these but they did not know.

13. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I haven't but here is the motor plate which is bound to be correct.
    2.2kw quite safe on a 13amp supply. 20190901_200119.jpg

Jetex likes this.
  14. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Lol...I just did the same too.

My post was incorrect...I have the XET19/200.. I think it's 32A and the largest displacement I could find running off 240v...I think!

Edit...I'm running this on a dedicated 32A supply....so far without any problems! What is odd is MM says it needs a 40A supply but definitely is running on a 32A MCB at the consumer unit. I think this one is over budget and was around £750 though!

• IMG_20190901_200351812.jpg
    Jetex likes this.
  15. brightspark

brightspark Member

most 3hp motors run at about 12 amp full load the starting current is about 50 amp ish from memory. a 13 amp will actually take about 19 amp for a good period of time a 30 amp mcb will go before a 13 amp cartridge fuse pops

fizzy likes this.
  16. Jetex

Jetex Member

From the air compressors that I have tested (only about 3 of them) the motor plate has been incorrect, 3 HP motors running at 1600W (6.6A) and 2 HP motors running at 1200W (5A). I don't think that you can rely on the motor plate for the actual running current. This is why It is difficult to compare and make an informed purchase of an air compressor.

Dcal likes this.
  17. Jetex

Jetex Member

Yes, this would be the true figures for a 3HP output motor but manufactures and suppliers lie about the true motor specifications. This is why they can easily run of a 13A supply it is only the starting surge that can cause the problem of fuses or breakers tripping. I would like to know the true running current not figures that suppliers make up to make their air compressor sound better than it is.

18. brightspark

brightspark Member

don't know where your getting your figures from but the 3hp motor is about 12 to 13 amp flc as the plate above says or my new fluke clamp meter with test cert isn't correct when I tested my motors

19. Jetex

Jetex Member

I get my figurers fom actual testing same as you with a current clamp and also with a direct reading wattmeter, results are the same. Maybe the motors you have tested have been on better equipment than the ones I have tested. For example the 3HP Wolf Dekota 90 runs at 1600W (6.6A), not 2880W at all.

20. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I think a better test is probably to measure the time it takes to fill the tank and then work out the cfm from that....gives a good idea of what the machine is capable of I think as ultimately what we are all interested in is can it supply enough air. No manufacturers ever quote those stats of course....would make it too easy to weed out the rubbish machines!

I have to say the XET19 works very well....I was told to "buy a descent one" by my paint guy....he was very happy with it. Painting the Figaro body I think it kicked it just once....filled the tank and that was it done!

fizzy, Jetex and Gragson like this.
Advertisements