advice on MIG torch please

1. Robin Beaumont New Member

Hello,
    I have a an Oxford 200-1 for occasional fabrication projects at work, which mostly consist of benches and factory furniture made from square tube and angle iron 2.5 to 5mm thick. My welder came with a SWP MB15 torch which seems good (I have no experience of anything else) but when I am welding it seems to get really hot, would I be better of with a MB25 size torch or should I stick with what I have? Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Rob

2. Pete.S.

Pete.S. New Member

It's normal for the nozzle to get hot.

Binzel's MB15 is good for 60% duty cycle @ 150 Amp with argon/co2 mix. That seems to be more than what the Oxford 200-1 can deliver.

3. pondy

pondy Member

I recently changed to an mb25 on a 180a machine. I prefer the size and feed to it. Steve at weldequip has good prices on parweld torches
    IMG_20190114_181630.jpg

4. Robin Beaumont New Member

Thanks Pete, the nozzle does get hot, but the neck also seems to get hot (through gloves too).

5. Robin Beaumont New Member

Hi Pondy, thanks for the pic, it looks good , nice spares box too. Does it feel more awkward when welding in tight spaces?

6. pondy

pondy Member

The shroud is larger so it's a little worse in tight spaces but I've yet to have much of an issue yet. Ive kept the smaller mb15 if I ever had to weld somthing the large torch couldn't get to

7. Robin Beaumont New Member

Yes, I would have the mb15 to fall back on if needed. I would prefer a 4M cable too as the one I have seems a little short when I’m patching coolant tanks.

8. Robin Beaumont New Member

Hi Pondy, I ordered the parweld mb25 4M from weldequip. I’m looking forward to giving it a go, will let you know how I get on.

pondy likes this.
  9. Munkul

Munkul Jack of many trades, Master of none

An MB25 is just a better design of torch all round. Everything is bigger and better than an MB15.

The only annoyance is that spring clip that provides friction to the shroud. If they could do a MB36 style shroud for the MB25 torch, it would then be perfect. As it stands, I'd always take a 36 for everything apart from car bodywork.

I prefer Binzel torches and spares to Parweld, but this is just personal experience and preference.

10. Pete.S.

Pete.S. New Member

I also prefer Binzel original. The other ones are "Binzel-style" and have Binzel naming convention... They're not much more expensive IMHO.

11. Robin Beaumont New Member

Hello,
    My Parweld MB25 4M from weldequip arrived, I have been welding with it, and I prefer it to the MB15 torch I was using, it still gets hot, but not as bad as the MB15, it didn't take long to get used to the size, the extra 1 metre is great, I don't have to move the work or welder around as much. So all in all very happy, glad I bought it, and I have the MB15 to fall back on if needed. My welding is not great, but that is something I'm working on. I will probably post some pictures of my welding soon to get some pointers.

Rob

Advertisements