Abandoned Mill Pics

1. Kayos

Kayos Member

magnet, Parm, skotl and 1 other person like this.
  2. shedfull

shedfull Member

I was expecting some thing like this from the title :D

15.jpg

3. brewdexta

brewdexta Forum Supporter

Yorkshire
    Very nice :clapping: there's some lovely old mill remains semi-buried in unusual locations in the hills around Todmorden, slowly being reclaimed by nature. My workshop stonework is from Robin Wood mill demolition, and my living room floor uses mill flags from another mill that become a soap factory before demolition only half a mile away.

4. CRB

CRB Member

So sad.

Those arches are beautiful.

skotl likes this.
  5. Digger6135 Member

It saddens me to see what were great centres of industry, fallen into disuse, and left to decay some of these building were magnificant examples of the stonemasons art.

Digger6135

bash'it likes this.
  6. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Indeed. Can you imagine the number of people who would have walked under these arches on their way to work?

I wonder if there are any pictures of that mill when it was working?

bash'it likes this.
  7. CKJDJK

CKJDJK Member

tomsutton529 likes this.
  8. Kayos

Kayos Member

The arches are actually on the boiler room, the equipment I have posted looks to be some kind of pump connected to a tank, so im guessing oil for the boiler?

Ive been in and around a few mills and buildings, I will have to see if ive still got the shots from the old brickworks uploaded

9. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

10. Kayos

Kayos Member

I have been on 28 days, think I did the brickworks and something else but I don't use that forum for various reasons any more

11. tomsutton529

tomsutton529 Member

28 Days later used to be a great website about the old buildings and about finding them and getting inside, dodging security etc. Now it seems you cant post unless you have spent 1000000000 years at uni studying photography and have a camera that is worth more than the average house.. what happened to the good old days when your could just take a few snaps on your phone or cheap camera from argos and its was a pat on the back from the other members.

12. Kayos

Kayos Member

Very well put, but to be fair the gear I took out shooting this morning was worth more than my car :D, but it does seem that if you don't follow the rules exactly you get slated, plus they bitch and moan about cross processed shots (actual cross processed E6 film in C41 chems, not photshopped) but love fisheye and other pointless effects

Either way, I don't use the site for my shots or even looking at others

13. Fintray

Fintray Forum Supporter

Could be but depends on what type of oil they may have burned, place I worked used heavy fuel oil (treacle!) that has to be kept fluid by steam heated pipes in the tanks with trace heating on the outlet pipes.
    Definitely looks like a twin filter system with what looks like good old Denso tape on some of the pipes.

14. sardine

sardine Member

Yep, I posted a report on 28 days later, about Bletchley Park, they are fussy, and OCD nerdy. But you do get thanks if you edit the report exactly how they want it.

15. tomsutton529

tomsutton529 Member

Bragging about your camera equipment being worth more than your car really doesn't work when your car is only worth £100. :D:D:D:D:D.

MattF likes this.
  16. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

from my days working with a huge industrial oil fired boiler I would say the pipework in the second picture is some sort of steam manifold with what looks like the remains of a pressure safety valve on the right, but I could be wrong :D

17. Kayos

Kayos Member

Can't see it but there is a pair of heavy duty pipes that go to a large tank, I guessed oil fired as most oil I've worked with had a feed and return, plus the big chimney but no evidence of solid fuel been used for a long time

18. Kayos

Kayos Member

£100? It's yours :)

19. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

could it be steam to heat the oil to stop it thickening up in winter

20. Kayos

Kayos Member

Could be, oil isn't really my forte, gas is my thing and that works pretty much the same all year round :)

Advertisements