A worrying lack of penetration

1. Ed B

Ed B Member

Hi all,

Picking up the hobby welding again after a little lay off. I'm trying to lay some practice welds on a piece of 2mm sheet but even on max setting and going slowly with the torch as close as possible to the bead im not getting any beads going through the sheet.

For what it's worth I've included pictures. The ones highlighted in the yellow are some on max.

It's a Clarke 135 te. 6mm wire (would 8mm help?). From the guide on this site setting 3 of 4 should be good enough.

The regulator is set to for mig welding. If anything I've set it on the low side

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

4E96A6EB-1F16-48D7-A355-454E7A602770.jpeg 3A0E84D8-DD02-4DA3-B16D-78D4FEFE5D2A.jpeg

2. Dutch Welder Member

What is the sheet placed on??
    If you place the sheet on a metal table the table will prevent the puddle from going through.

Ed B likes this.
  3. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Worrying too much ?

You dont need to be blowing through to the back of plate to achieve a strong weld on something like 2mm sheet. If you do want to penetrate crank up the amps to max , back off the wire speed and get it into spray transfer. May cost you a tip or two trying but I am sure you will find the sweet spot.

Bob

arther dailey, eLuSiVeMiTe and Ed B like this.
  4. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

Are you using the disposable bottles?

5. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

Thought i was on the wrong site for a second:o

Parm, Ed B and Climber like this.
  6. Climber

Climber Member

I thought my Mrs was posting. :laughing:

roofman likes this.
  7. Ed B

Ed B Member

Ah yes a metal table but lifted up by the earth.

8. Ed B

Ed B Member

thanks to be honest I was thinking it would be fine but as I'd read the guides on the site that show that should be aiming for this I thought there must be something wrong.

9. chris y Member

Durham England
    Nothing to worry about I'd say, try joining two sheets and your hobby machine will be fine because you will have a small gap and can grind a weld prep chamfer on it.
    Once you are happy with the beads you can lay, move onto joining 2 pieces together and then work out what you need to do to get penetration.

Advertisements