A transit. Hopefully less ropey than mine..

1. Chillitt Member

My current van, a rusty Mk6 transit, will be going off to live on a farm in the country at some point this year, due to insurmountable MOT issues. I have just been offered a mk7 Transit. It's been living in France for a couple of years and will be coming back in April. now the thing is, what do we need to do to drive it in this country? Current owners plan was to drive it from Dover to here where it will become my problem, but obv I can sort out a brit MOT and such then. Anyone know what the deal is with driving a british van (withfrench headlights) thats registeered over there, over here? So to speak..

2. Chillitt Member

The van will have a 2 month CT on it. will that be legal here until I can get a proper test done?

3. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

6 months if you drive your own vehicle over yourself and have owned it more than 6 months. Not sure on buying one though.

4. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    DVLA website for registering imported vehicles would be my first port of call. Should be pretty straight forward. UK insurance on a French registered vehicle might be interesting after a while.

I drove my integrale around on Italian plates for a while - but that was over 20 yrs ago.

5. Chillitt Member

The owner will be driving it over here so that would be very handy.

6. Chillitt Member

It is on UK plates still

7. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Has it ever been registered in UK ? You may need to get a NOVA certificate and pay tax on it if it is being registered for the first time in UK. DVLA website has all the info you need.

Just seen it's still on UK plates so you should be good to just tax and MOT it once it's registered in your name and insured.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  8. mr haynes Member

lhd or rhd? Different headlights. Vat may be an issue.

As above dvla website has lots info

9. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Import duty ?

10. Chillitt Member

ITs a normal British van, been over there 2 years, and on the road over there. reg still shows up on DVLa website. looks like she can drive it here, but will need here french paperwork if she gets stopped, then I do MOT and tax it and insure when she gets here. Seems too easy...

11. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark Member

@Chillitt

If it is simple to get sorted.
    Any parts on your older one suitable for spares/repairs?

Mick Annick likes this.
  12. Chillitt Member

There is some interchangeability between mk6 and mk7 but I very much doubt there is anything usable on mine... :D

13. m_c Member

Because it's still on British plates, then it'll still be registered with the DVLA.

Only issue will be the MOT. If it's only had the French equivalent (which is fine in terms of being legal), then it will show as being un-mot'd on any searches, so VED and any police checks will mean you'll have to produce the French certificate. Easy option would be to just get it mot'd as soon as practical.

slim_boy_fat and Chillitt like this.
  14. Chillitt Member

Yes the plan is to MOt and tax it soon as its here, but it has a couple of advisories (We think, might need some help translating a french MOT form..) on rust so Id rather get it here and sort it rather than throw it through a test in Dover and have it stuck there with a fail. As is always the way with me, cost is an issue...

15. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    You have seen and looked over this van i take it?

16. Chillitt Member

I last saw it a year ago. I am pretty confident it is still waaaay better than mine.. :D I've known the owner for years.

17. Shedendman

Shedendman Member

east sussex
    Hummm,aren't french MOTS every 2 years?
    Be cool to look at a MOT from france just to see how it compares to ours over here

stuvy likes this.
  18. Chillitt Member

Soon as I have it, I'll post it. my french is poor building site std, and some of it looked like the tester was having a bad day but I cant remember what made me think that...

Shedendman likes this.
  19. cheb Forum Supporter

You can drive an un MOTed vehicle to a prebooked test at a testing station, and also to a place where repairs will be carried out. The distance to the preebooked test isn't specified AFAIK.

HopefullySoon, Ruffian and a111r like this.
  20. Chillitt Member

Yes, I think testing that by arriving at Dover with an MOT booked in sunny Gloucestershire, may be pushing our luck. It may be booked in for a test anyway, but I wouldnt want to test the nice policemans patience with it..

stuvy likes this.
Advertisements