A solenoid valve for compressed air

1. cheb Forum Supporter

My compressor is in my shed and I'd like air in the non attached workshop. I've run some 15mm pipe but don't want to leave it permanently pressurised, nor do I want to leave the compressor on autostart, but equally, I don't want to have to leave the house, walk over to the shed to turn the air on. Nor do I want to forget to turn it off again. I wouldn't be using much air, just for dusting, and possibly to topping up tyres

Has anyone tried using a solenoid valve to stop the airflow? I can't see why one wouldn't work.

2. Fraserb

Fraserb Member

We have plenty of air solenoids controlling compressed air around the milking parlour, can get the make off them tomorrow.

Ruffian likes this.
  3. Ruffian Member

Rs components do valves that work with coils.

I personally would just go old school with a ball valve at a easily access able point.

daleyd, brightspark and Bladevane like this.
  4. qwakers Member

5. heldtogetherwithblutack

heldtogetherwithblutack Member

6. cheb Forum Supporter

1/2" solenoid valve ordered. Ebay special, £16, supplied from a UK seller. Should be with me in 16 days using a 3-5 day courier.:D

The compressor needs a 16A supply, and the internet of things isn't nearly good enough yet, I'm a late adopter of technology. The power for the solenoid can be run down the same duct as the air piping.

7. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Surely if you are running a cable for the solenoid you may as well have just run cable to the compressor so you can turn it off remotely?

brightspark and Dcal like this.
  8. awemawson Forum Supporter

If the compressor and it's associated pressure control valve and tank are decent quality and maintained properly why can they not stay on 24/7?

My air is plumbed to several buildings on site, and I have a remote Portakabin with a tank mounted Hydrovane maintaining system pressure and switching off automatically when at set point. I also have a timed electric drain valve on the tank to avoid the daily chore of remembering to do it.

9. cheb Forum Supporter

If I wired the compressor to be controlled remotely I'd still want to run a wire for the solenoid, it's just be a more complex solution.

The switchgear and compressor are good quality, it's just I don't like leaving rarely used electricals on autostart. It's all airtight too, and not in heavy use. It's barely in light use.

10. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

We had one like that at work. One day my boss gave me a PCB and asked me to change it as the old one had failed, after swapping the PCB's I switched it back on, there was a small bang followed by the magic smoke escaping. I pulled the new PCB and compared it to the old one, they were identical apart from the voltage specs, the old one was 240V but the new one was only 24V oops, I suggested he nipped into specsavers before ordering any more :laughing:

Pete. and brightspark like this.
Advertisements