A couple of lamps

1. jimbo84 Member

A couple of lamps knocked up from offcuts/random bits.

This one weighs a fair bit for a lamp as you can probably imagine.

001.jpg

Found an old valve and wheel at the scrapyard, off cut of green oak sleeper for the base.

004.jpg

Fintray, MattF, Tangledfeet and 10 others like this.
  2. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

You need a dimmer in that light so you can vary the brightness with the valve.

MattF, Dieselkid 63, fizzy and 10 others like this.
  3. jimbo84 Member

It'd be a good addition but there wouldn't be room for it unless the dimmer could go in the base and somehow be mechanically linked to the wheel.

4. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

So you have just set yourself the challenge of how ridiculously over-engineering over-complicated a mechanical linkage can you design and build to achieve this utterly pointless task.

Given the quality of the original item your audience is waiting with great anticipation for the finished article.

dobbslc, Dieselkid 63, fizzy and 3 others like this.
  5. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

All you need behind the wheel is the pot. the rest could be in the base with three wires to connect it.

Dieselkid 63 and jimbo84 like this.
  6. daedalusminos Member

Yes but how good would it be to have a mini chain drive off the valve turnwheel to a rheostat in the base - ok a translucent panel in the base would also help!

7. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Awesome work, just the sort of thing I like.

The rail track lamp is just so elegantly simple heavy engineering

jimbo84 likes this.
  8. jimbo84 Member

I have some old motorcycle chain... got me thinking now :welder:

Thanks Parm. At an estimate it weighs in at somewhere around the 10kg mark.

Parm likes this.
  9. daleyd

daleyd Member

Not a light light then...

MCKDAVID and slim_boy_fat like this.
  10. daedalusminos Member

I seriously think there's a market for these, when you have more try them on Etsy (obviously after complying with safety regs). Might be better with 'cotton' braid flex which is readily available in a choice of colours

jimbo84 likes this.
  11. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

The point I was making was that there is no need for a mechanical link.

12. jordhandson Member

very nice love the creativity :thumbup:

jimbo84 likes this.
  13. jimbo84 Member

It needs to go on a sturdy table. Definitely wouldn't want to drop it on me toe.

I did look into it but also don't want anything to come back to me so I spoke to a helpful (or possibly not so helpful) guy at trading standards about what I needed to do to meet the standards to sell them.

They'd need CE stamps and to put these on legitimately there'd need to be a document of conformity for each product, I did read into it briefly on the documents that he sent me but it seemed prohibitive for a one man band out of a container to be able to conform, then there's insurance etc.

I had wondered about getting them PAT tested but this sin't enough to cover you it seems and PAT testing only covers for used appliances not new products.

I am a qualified spark so can test and account for their electrical safety so far as I know they're safe but I no longer work in that line of work so not fully up to date with current regs or have the insurances etc. and I doubt I'd have been covered by my insurance, as the trading standards fella stated you become a manufacturer once you start doing stuff like this.

I'm not a fan of all this make somebody else liable for your mistakes, blame, blame, sue, sue, sue culture but it's the world that we live in and it seems you need insurance to even fart these days incase somebody claims against you for it.

If anybody does make things like this and sells them I'd be interested to hear how they do it and cover themselves.

14. brightspark

brightspark Member

an easy way round it is make the lamp and sell the electrical kit to put it together by the customer :)

jimbo84 and Parm like this.
  15. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Or supply the plug, but not fitted to the lamp? :dontknow:

dobbslc and jimbo84 like this.
  16. Migmac

Migmac Member

Did the bit of rail track come from a light railway :whistle:

Very nice it is too

jimbo84, daleyd, fizzy and 3 others like this.
  17. hunter27

hunter27 Pete

Nice work.
    Turning off the gate valve should cut through the wire inside it, that would switch the light off so that half of the problem sorted for you :laughing:

dobbslc, jimbo84, eddie49 and 2 others like this.
  18. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

Not so far off - have the gate operate a microswitch arm.

jimbo84 likes this.
  19. gerrymoore

gerrymoore CNC expert (well, getting there!)

Like them both...a lot!!!

jimbo84 likes this.
  20. jimbo84 Member

Seems like a good idea. That would shift the liability onto whoever wired it up I guess or would it still come back to the maker as they're selling it for the purpose of it being a lamp just in kit form?

In a common sense world it would make it more dangerous as it's quite likely to be wired up by somebody who potentially doesn't really know what they're doing and it'd be untested but it terms of a workaround to removing liability elsewhere (which is what it seems to be about now) it seesm to make sense.

brightspark likes this.
Advertisements