a bit of shotblasting

1. brightspark

brightspark Member

haven't run comp in 6 month so my mate wanted his lawnmower frame blasting . just did it in the open as haven't a shed to do it in . comp started instantly warmed it up and started . the grit I got was a bit large 1.0mm to 1.5mm it certainly cleaned it up fast but would be better suited for cleaning oil rigs up :laughing: I wouldn't do motorbike parts or wheels with it just use my smaller pot with sand for finer work

• IMG_0206.JPG
    • IMG_0199.JPG
  2. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

You look very fetching there brightspark

fizzy, magicgrotto, mtt.tr and 2 others like this.
  3. brightspark

brightspark Member

saving the planet by not using 2 bags over my head :laughing:

Pollys13, Anguz, mtt.tr and 2 others like this.
  4. Parm

Nah, just being a tight git cause they would have cost you 10p

5. stuvy

stuvy Member

Iv got a few cycle frames needing blasting but won’t ask you as it make tim foil out of them with that set up:laughing:

brightspark and Parm like this.
  6. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

10p in some parts of this world could get you murdered. Be grateful for what you have:hug:

7. Parm

On a slightly different note, you may have heard of the 3 Indian lads murdered in Ilford on Sunday night.

I’ve just found out that one of them was a site chippe for someone I know very well

Three of them got murdered in an argument over money

8. julianf

julianf Member

Very roughly, how much grit do you think you used for the part you have in the photo? And was it inside and outside? (I'm guessing so, given I can see it going to hole?)

I have a pressure pot now, but no area that won't be total loss, so I'm just curious as to consumption. Obviously my compressors are smaller, but I'm wondering about ball park amounts.

Thank you.

9. brightspark

brightspark Member

the frame took about just over a 25 kg bag. if recovered it could have been used twice if it was sieved

stuvy likes this.
  10. julianf

julianf Member

So, reading between the lines, the "grit" is somthing a little cheaper than your standard machine mart blasting grit, right?

11. Parm

It can be, but it’s not advisable for health reasons

Plenty of info on the web

WorkshopChris and stuvy like this.
  12. brightspark

brightspark Member

the grits copper slag. scangrit sell it. a lot of outfits are using crushed glass now as its cheaper and doesn't leave a horrible black dust all over. the tubs of media from machine mart are for use in cabinets or somewhere you can recover it and used a fair few times probably aluminium oxide

Parm likes this.
  13. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

What “pot” are you running? Possibly have access to a two tool road tow compressor.

14. brightspark

brightspark Member

its home made out of a gas bottle it holds about a bag and a half of grit blast hose is half inch bore with a 6mm blast jet on the end its copied off a Clemco mini pot well the reg grit valve is and the pipe dimensions but the filler I just made up myself. its fast to open and fill with a big funnel a comp a bit bigger than 80cfm will run it all day long

• DSCF1222.JPG
    • DSCF1220.JPG
    • DSCF1409.JPG
    • DSCF1200.JPG
    • potquick reliese top.JPG
    • DSCF1204.JPG
    steviec_lj and jordhandson like this.
  15. brightspark

brightspark Member

if you have a lathe and a welder and pillar drill that's all you need to make one a Clemco one the same size would be about a grand to buy home made a hell of a lot cheaper . next size down would be one with a 3mm blast jet and would require a 28cfm comp which I have both and use

16. brightspark

brightspark Member

decided to shotblast my cement mixer today after a few pillocks had borrowed it and left it in a bit of a state. last time I used it to blast the lawnmower it was a bit iffy :(took the media valve back to bits and the grit in it was damp . decided to drill a bigger hole through it to let more grit through . dried all the grit out and the pot and sieved it. its supposed to be 1mm to 1.5mm but there was some larger than that in it so that didn't help the regulation . refilled the pot and started the comp to warm up . put helmet on and the comp cut out :(ran out of fuel :vsad:refilled it and it wouldn't start . it took some doing . cracking the injector pipes and bleeding it but finaly got it running :)after the mod to the grit valve and sieved grit it works perfectly ran 2- 25kg bags through it without adjustment job done not keen on lending it out to anyone else now its clean. its well used and not a dent on it and its 40 years old

17. jordhandson Member

I do a few mixers where there's bin lazy labourers, blasting them brings them back lovely. I did a mix on the site wagon last year a the owner gave me a peach of a bonus. I hate to see the drums when they've been beaten about, there's no need for it if there used and cleaned out wet.

Brad93 and brightspark like this.
Advertisements