8 Metre Umbilical

1. metalmelt Member

Talking to a guy today from one of our competitors who told me they have some MB25's 8M long, from what he said they came from ESAB with their new welders.

Anyone ever seen them 8M long as if they are available in 25 size they would be a benefit to us as the longest we get are 5.5 or 6 metres long.

2. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

Without any push/pull or auxilliary power?

Even with the best feeder in the world, I can't imagine an 8m normal gun working nicely... the slack in the feedwire must be around 2" or so...!

metalmelt and daleyd like this.
  3. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

It will be something from the TBI range, who ESAB acquired.

Probably push pull at 8 meters long or a auxiliary drive unit on a 5m lead with a 3metre torch attached. Like a nanofeeder from Lorch.
    I think the new warrior robustfeed works with push/pull or auxiliary feed units.

metalmelt likes this.
  4. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

metalmelt likes this.
  5. Robert Mullins Member

The people to ask will be the manufacturers, when I worked at Andover Trailers, the company enquired as to whether they could get longer, 5/6m torches, and you can, but they're made to order:
    Building the aluminium landing craft at VT, the company were 'trialed' a fronius mig welding machine, this was a brilliant bit of kit, fitted with a hugely long push/pull torch lead, BUT, p/p torches were vast, heavy, difficult to manipulate; I'd rather have the umbilical lead to a 'suitcase' and keep the 12' (4m)torch

James1979 and metalmelt like this.
  6. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

Parweld will make pretty much any length torch you want them to.

7. daleyd

daleyd Member

8. Robert Mullins Member

The umbical lead us the lead containing all the various gas/water/ power cables from the power source to the remote wire drive unit, the torch at the wire drive unit is (or has been, in my experience) of the usual standard length

metalmelt likes this.
  9. metalmelt Member

This was my thought, I would like to see one for myself and ascertain its dimensions and if it has any secondary pull as a 4 roller drive may provide push but your mention of the slack confirms my thoughts.
    Our longest are 6M and generally ours are 5.5M as standard long fitments from the manufacturer, and I would also assume it would have a wire specific size liner.

10. metalmelt Member

Thanks guys, some food for thought and something to look into when I get home from work.

Advertisements