5 pin 3 phase saw

1. vwmark

vwmark Member

Hi - I have just bought a cold cutting saw which I intended to run off my static convertor.
    The issue I have is the saw is 5 pin. 3 supply, earth and neutral.
    I guess the neutral is being used as a return to run the coolant pump.
    The coolant pump is 230/440v so if I took this out the circuit can anyone see an issue running the saw on a 4 pin plug?
    received_2633569513562526.jpeg

Jacktegla likes this.
  2. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

If the pump is three phase it doesn't use a neutral.

upload_2020-8-13_10-47-6.png

EBME2 and daleyd like this.
  3. daleyd

daleyd Member

Neutral may be used for the control circuit (if it has one), for contactors, relays,lights etc?

Maker, mtt.tr and Seadog like this.
  4. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Good point. That detail clearly isn't shown.

daleyd likes this.
  5. daleyd

daleyd Member

Yeah, just a guess as to why it might be there - it may not have any of those things, but of course you are right it won't be needed for the motor itself if it's 3 phase variety.

6. Agroshield Member

To the OP:

That is the bit just below the middle 2.0mm2 in the diagram Seadog posted. You could easily replace that with a manual 3-pole isolator.

Have you opened the plug to confirm that all five pins are in use? Sometimes people put on a 5-pin plug because that is the only socket they have rather than because it is actually needed.

If the neutral wire is present and in use, what does it connect to at the machine end of the cable?

If you are to use it on a static converter, it may be prudent to disconnect the LV transformer (top RHS of the Seadog map). Just pull the fuses F3 & F4.

daleyd likes this.
  7. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

Having a closer look, it would appear that the contactor runs from the LV circuit. Pulling the fuses will remove the E-stop function from what I can see.

daleyd likes this.
  8. vwmark

vwmark Member

It does use 5 wires.

I will follow circuit tonight.

Thanks

9. Matrixx

Matrixx Member

Don't remove the control circuit, or put a manual isolator the replace K1 , it is the there for control and safety, not having an E-stop is dangerous, also with a manual switch , if there was a power cut the motor could unexpectedly start up again when the power came back!

Advertisements