440V Single phase Cebora Tig Special Uno convert to 240V Single Phase

1. Lee Layland New Member

Hi all, my dad purchased the above welder many years ago and we are just looking at it. It is currently fitted with a 240V 32A plug (the blue one) but will not work.

Can anyone tell me how this welder is converted to run on 240V?

There look like the option under the F.A.R.T. (yes that's its genuine name) cover to switch 240 / 440 but this had no effect on the welder (that currently doesn't work) - do I need to move the wires on the visible transformer on top that has 220 / 415 / etc marked on it.

Hope you can help me.

2. Tigman

Tigman Forum Supporter

I had one of those , it was 3 phase machine , take a picture of the Spec plate so someone will be able to help you !

3. Pete.

Pete. Member

Remove the lid
    Find the tapping transformer
    Move the wire from 415/440 to the 240v terminal (they are clearly labelled)
    Close the lid
    Fit a 3 pin plug in place of the 3 phase one.

Whilst you're in there you might as well set the points gap on the two HF contactors to 8 thou.

4. Lee Layland New Member

Already re-gapped them the other day. I don't think it's three phase (although supposed to work off 440V). What is the sliding plate for under the FART cover - is that the one to change or the one that goes on the visible transformer?

5. Lee Layland New Member

Sorry - should have thanked you for your replies.

6. Lee Layland New Member

[​IMG] This isn't the exact one, but it is the same voltage as the one I have.

7. Pete.

Pete. Member

It's single phase 415v. The only wire you need to move is on the little control transformer which has the different voltage tappings. You should know that on 240v you need to read the amps scale on the front as half, so instead of 200A it will be 100A maximum.

8. Lee Layland New Member

Excellent - thank you. Wahts is the connector for under the FART cover? - Its a plastic box with F.A.R.T. written diagonally down it

9. Pete.

Pete. Member

No idea mate, I didn't ever take the cover off mine. Keep an eye out for anyone scrapping the 240V version of that welder you should be able to swap the main cores for full 200A power.

Lee Layland likes this.
  10. Tigman

Tigman Forum Supporter

yeah I should have said 2 phase and a neutral

11. Lee Layland New Member

Sorted, thank you - I changed the connection under the FART cover as well. Seems to work great. Great stuff!

12. Lee Layland New Member

Would anybody know if you can still get the tungsten spark gaps? Think ours are shot.

13. Appyasme1

Appyasme1 Member

The spark gaps I have been used to,many moons ago were reversible, turn them round and see what they are like.The tips I have used can be reversed.You might see,on the worn ends,that they are pitted.If you are carefull you can take the pits off on a bench grinder.Try the reverse action first.Hope this helps

14. Pete.

Pete. Member

Doubtful that they are shot but the manual says don't try cleaning them with emery. I cleaned mine by scraping the feeler gauge through the gap. They are very sensitive to adjustment, it took me several tries to get a consistent strike.

Advertisements