4 post wheels free safety

1. Mansa New Member

Hi all, I recently aquired a workshop complete with Wheels free 4 post vehicle lift, now then i’ve worked out how the safety latches work on the wheels free part of the lift but can anyone please tell me what stops the rest of the lift coming down in the event of cable or oil seal failure?
    I think the lift could be a bradbury but not sure

2. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

pics might help

3. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

You'd probably get a quicker response if this query was in the Tools and Workshop Equipment, or the Social Club / Brew Room areas.

4. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

They have four pull cables on each corner that attach to the ram via pulleys, if the cable breaks there are four fail safe sprung loaded catches that engage on serrated drop rods in the columns .

Bob

eLuSiVeMiTe and roofman like this.
  5. gaz1

gaz1 Member

6. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    The Bradbury wheel free ramps have been around for decades and there are still loads of them out there still being regularly certified. The place I got my 2 post from had one and he said it was 20 years old when he got it and he'd had it 15-20 years.

I'm not sure how they work but once the wheel free is in operation there is no load on the ramp platform other than it's own weight.

My 4 post is as @8ob described, it has serated rods that stop the ramp if the cables go slack.

7. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

I forgot to mention the hydraulic lockout device. On the one I had there was a lockout if it was descending too fast, normally if it was overloaded. It would stop on a shunt valve and it would have to be raised slightly before it would go down.

Bob

8. mm289 Member

Dover, Kent
    Just to add, the wheel free bars lock into the uprights via lever locks on each end of the wheel free bar. The ramp then drops on hydraulics as normal to leave the vehicle suspended on the wheel free bars.

Also note, these were invented when cars had ladder chassis, the wheel free bars don't necessarily work on modern cars thathave lift point located on the outer sills.

Cheers,

MM

Advertisements