316 stainless supplier

1. Jonathan Webb

Jonathan Webb Member

Hi, the stockists ive found near me (Littlehampton) don't carry stainless. I'm after some 316 plate/bar 10mm thick to make 12 plate washers around 75x100mm.
    Any recommendations where I can get this from?
    Many thanks

2. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

Blackburn’s have a depot in Edenbridge

3. scott0031 Member

England Kent
    Aalco
    Richard Austin alloys
    Smiths metal centres.
    Personally i wont ever use Blackburns ever ever!

You may be better off asking a profilers to make the plate washers, water jet or laser.

4. Jonathan Webb

Jonathan Webb Member

Thanks.
    What's wrong with Blackburns?
    I'm not sure how to proceed with the fabrication of the washers. I think I'd concluded that, as there are three sizes of hole, it would probably be cost-effective to get them drilled somewhere. I need to shape these on site, to fit along an elliptical shaped moulding, so planned to do this with a grinder.
    What is a profiler, vs other engineering/machine places?

5. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Would you not be just better going to a stainless fabricator or machine shop that works a lot with stainless and having them made up ? Might save a lot of messing around getting materials and then figuring out how to drill or machine them.

6. Jonathan Webb

Jonathan Webb Member

Quite possibly. I'm looking around for costs ATM. It may be worth getting it done all in one, although I have more time than money and it's a one-off DIY job. As there are only a few, I can cut them to size - I'll have to shape them myself anyway. I was planning to start with the steel cost and compare with getting it done: I'd love to not do it!

ronan likes this.
  7. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Why does the stainless have to be 316 rather than 303 or 304, which might be a bit cheaper and if its not near the sea, would do just as well.

8. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    Littlehampton is fairly coastal last time I was near there.

Aalco do a cutting service, and usually do small orders. You might get stung with minimum order charge as it's such a small amount.

9. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

You’re gonna be there a long long time on site trying to grind down 10mm thick stainless plate.

10. Jonathan Webb

Jonathan Webb Member

Could hardly be closer to the sea: they're plate washers to hold the keels on

• IMG_20190301_150610.jpg
    ronan likes this.
  11. Jonathan Webb

Jonathan Webb Member

15 minutes apiece from a chap who's been here ahead of me. Some won't need much shaping as shown, plus I can cut them roughly to shape.

• 23012012509.jpg
  12. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    AH right, i did not know what you were working on. I have things outside made of 303/304 stainless for over 20 years and they are perfect. But you are right to go with 316 for anything marine.

13. Jonathan Webb

Jonathan Webb Member

No problem, I didn't mention it, for simplicity. 316 all the way here... The original 316 studs are 45 years old and in pretty good condition, with no corrosion evident.

ronan likes this.
  14. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Its a lovely material, we used to use it by the lorry load at work for sewerage treatment machinery, we were allowed to take the left overs and i used to bring a fair bit home.

Jonathan Webb likes this.
  15. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

If you get stuck try Surrey Stainless, they have always been able to flog me stainless
    that I had difficulty getting elsewhere. They are in Croydon.

Jonathan Webb likes this.
Advertisements