3 phase Hydrovane 502 now running on single phase

1. JFDI New Member

I just thought I'd let people know of the fun I've just had getting a Hydrovane 502 3 phase compressor working on a single phase supply. There's another post relating to the inlet valve problem I found, but that's all fixed.

Anyhow - I picked up an un-tested 502 in bits via that well known auction site, and set about a regular service (oil and filter etc), but the difficult part was running the 2.2kW 3 phase motor from my single phase incoming supply at home.

At one time, many moons ago, I was an electrical engineer - how hard could it be?

The solution, and a very fine one at that, was to use a solid state motor drive that gives full control over the motor and if you pick the right one will drive 3 phase from single.

I ended up choosing a very high spec drive from Danfoss (http://goo.gl/4daWaK). You can look around to get the best deal.

The motor had to be re-wired from star to delta, and I initially had the phases reversed so everything ran backwards (Thanks Justin at Compair!), but now everything works really well.

The drive has a way of figuring out motor temperature, and shutting down if it detects overheat.

The compressor temperature sensor is connected to the drive and everything shuts down on overheat.

The pressure switch is connected to one of the drive digital inputs and controls motor on/off.

Starts and stops are smooth and ramped so there's no dimming of the lights and everything is much less stressed.

So now I have a very efficient 2.2kW 3 phase motor driving a fantastic 502 compressor! Win!!

If you don't understand any of the above think carefully before trying this at home, but that said, this isn't rocket science. There is some programming of the drive, and we are of course working with high voltages.

The same principle works for running any 3 phase motor such as those found on lathes, mills etc, but you need to ensure the motor drive and single phase incoming supply are correctly rated.

If anyone would like to know more, or I can provide any advice, feel free to continue the thread or PM me.

Regards
    Jim

daleyd likes this.
  2. piman Member

Hello Jim,

the only point I would add,one that is mentioned on here from time to time, is that it must be a dual voltage motor, a 415 delta motor will not work unless you get a 240single phase to 415three phase drive, which tend to be more expensive.

Good result with your hydrovane.

Alec

3. Cobs Member

Where did you source the Danfoss drive - and how much?

4. JFDI New Member

p-n-p motion controls, you'll find them on eBay and web. drive plus keypad with potentiometer = £275

5. I have been using a cheap Chinese inverter to run various pieces of 3 phase kit for the last two years with great success.
    £105 including delivery but I see that they will also take Best Offers now.
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=250955493594&alt=web
    As Piman said the motor needs to be a 3 phase 240v motor or to be rewireable as such otherwise the inverter needed will have to have a step up transformer with a big increase in cost.

6. JFDI New Member

Hi Alec - yes, it's not easy to magic up extra volts! Fortunately the motor on the Hydrovane is 220V delta and 415V star, which I think is pretty normal (I don't think it's normal to see 415 delta…) so it definitely won't work if the motor is left as star connected, but perfectly happy with delta.

7. JFDI New Member

Hi Wendelspanswick, there are definitely cheaper options than the Danfoss but support is great (just call them…) and I could confirm up front that the drive would support the pressure switch and overheat thermistor.

8. piman Member

Hello Jim,

I don't know what price your drive was but had you required a 240 - 415 of equivalent size (3 h.p.) it is available from Drives Direct but £475.

Alec

9. JFDI New Member

Hi Alec - p-n-p motion controls supplied the drive (2.2kW, 3hp) for £275 including the keypad with potentiometer.

10. Mr shiney Member

UK northants
    I have the same compressor. Make sure when you use it you get it hot. Stops starts where it does not get hot mayonnaises the oil and damages the compressor.....

mike os likes this.
  11. Hi Jim,
    Hopefully your still on the forum.
    I have just purchased a hydrovane hv02 for £40. I would say it has not run more than 50 hours in the 12 years it was installed.
    Unfortunately the downside is its 3 phase and i need to run it on single. I have spoken to pnp and have a price for an inverter though I'm not entirly sure how to wire or programme.
    Grateful of any advice.
    James

12. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Hi Fella, welcome on board.

Can’t help you with the compressor question but if your user name is your email address you may want to change that

@Wozzaaah ?

Advertisements