10mm plate with wolf 140 mig

1. Reabo

Reabo New Member

Hi Guys.
    I am looking at welding a 10mm plate to a 3mm wall thickness 28mm diameter tube. The plates will be shock absorber mounts on a twin shock motorcycle frame so it will need to be strong.
    Using a wolf mig 140 will this be possible? Maybe with multiple passes?
    I will be chamfering both sides of the plate and welding from both sides.
    I am currently using CO2, will this be ok or will I need an argon/co2 mix for better penetration?
    I have heard than flux cored wire gives good penetration so maybe this is the way to go?
    Thanx in advance for any advice.

2. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

not a chance use arc welder for that size

if you use mig your just going to get cold blobs on the steel fixing nothing

3. stuvy

stuvy Member

Not a chance. See if anyone’s local to you on here and offer beer tokens and Learn a bit at the same time.

Your wleder is probably on good for 5/6mm

4. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    CO2 is actually better than an argon mix but as discussed your power is rather low for something so critical.

5. Pete.

Pete. Member

10mm is miles overkill for shocker mounts. 6mm would be plenty if only welded along one edge IMO and even less if the lug is spanning two. Many bikes just had the shock mount welded to the pressed steel/tubular frame.

eLuSiVeMiTe and chunkolini like this.
  6. Reabo

Reabo New Member

Pretty much what I was thinking but was wondering if someone had an ingenious way of getting round it. Thanks for the replies and Pete has given me an idea with two mounting plates instead of one.

Advertisements