0.6 or 0.8 wire?

1. GavinL

GavinL Member

Hi, I've just bought a Clarke 151TE, and started practicing. it comes with 0.6 wire, and I've bought a roll of 0.8 SIP wire, question is, when do you change from one size to the other? looking at the settings recommended, there is no real difference in the recommended current / feed settings, so i'm unsure when to change wire size? i assume thicker wire for thicker material / bigger welds?

I've started on my first project ( welding trolley ) so will post pictures in due course.

arther dailey and Shoggi like this.
  2. wyn

wyn Member

I'm not too sure on when to change wire size. If i make a mistake and get talked into doing welding on a car i usually change to a 0.6 wire.
    When i had a 151TE i got caught out with the markings on the feed roller. The numbers on the roller correspond with the groove furthest away from the number.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Usually with roller size markings, Its the numbers on the roller that are facing outward, On which size wire I would say if you are only welding thin sheet up to around 3 to 4 mm then 0.6mm will do,

4. fixerupper

fixerupper Member

...With my Clarke 151EN, I found the 0.8 wire works much better on thick and thin ...It might be that the 0.8 that I have is just better quality wire and the 0.6 was rubbish wire ... but it was like chalk and cheese when I swapped over ... the roll of 0.6 is sitting in a box somewhere ... as a just in case ...I hate chucking stuff ....

Dcal likes this.
  5. MoreWellie Member

if 1mm thick or less then I would probably change to 0.6 but I found that 2 to 4mm thick generally is easier with 0.8

arther dailey likes this.
  6. I think you'll probably find 0.8 wire will be suitable for most stuff, plus it's usually considerably cheaper per kg

slim_boy_fat, fixerupper and Kent like this.
  7. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    Another vote for just 0.8 if your welding a variety of thickness's.

Kent likes this.
  8. GavinL

GavinL Member

Ok, thanks for all the replies, I'll change over to 0.8mm and see how I get on.

Kent likes this.
  9. RaceDiagnostics Forum Supporter

My clarke 105en works much better on 0.6 than 0.8, for mainly car body work.

10. Gareth0123

Gareth0123 You'll need 16 pigs to do the job in one sitting!

Make certain you purchase grade A18 mig wire.

11. optima21 Forum Supporter

I prefer to use 0.6mm wire than 0.8mm on thin gauge metal, but I think most people seem to prefer 0.8 to 0.6 on thin gauge metal

12. schnappi Member

Essex
    I mainly weld car bodywork using a SIP HandyMIG, the only modification being a steel liner. I find the drive rollers push the 0.8mm wire much more smoothly. The 0.6mm doesn't feed well at all, making life very difficult. The SIP is notorious for having a poor wire feed so this might just be a quirk of the machine but for me it's 0.8mm all the time.

13. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

I'm still using 0.6 on the same machine, varied so far from approx 1-4mm.
    Regardless of wire thickness, I found this info very useful as a much better guide over the Clarke recommended settings.

14. rob12770 Member

do you have to change tips down to 0.6 ? or can you run 0.6 wire through a 0.8 tip ? cheers.

15. henry Kadzielski Member

^^^^ .8mm wire through a .9mm tip is doable but .6mm wire through .8mm tip is too much a difference, it can become problematic with feed issues through the tip. If using .6mm wire then use .6mm tips

rob12770 likes this.
  16. rob12770 Member

thanks henry ;)

17. nghung270192 New Member

if i have to weld 0.4-0.8mm iron metal, so what should i choose?

• IMG_3619.JPG
Advertisements